Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it allowed?

Is it allowed?

Evening.

One of the drills I got after a recent lesson was to put a golf glove in my right armpit and make sure I keep it there during the swing to avoid chicken winging

When I do this on the practice field it generally results in a much better strike.

I would never do this whilst playing as I'd look and feel stupid....but I'm just curious could I do so if I wanted to?

Tour Winner

Re: Is it allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by snell View Post
    Evening.

One of the drills I got after a recent lesson was to put a golf glove in my right armpit and make sure I keep it there during the swing to avoid chicken winging

When I do this on the practice field it generally results in a much better strike.

I would never do this whilst playing as I'd look and feel stupid....but I'm just curious could I do so if I wanted to?
    You could if you didn't mind the penalty. It would cost you 2 strokes the first time you did it and a disqualification if you did it again. See what Rule 14-3 says about using equipment in an abnormal way. Your glove can assist you when it is on your hand (normal), but not under your armpit (abnormal).

I think you'd be able to pull your t shirt sleeve tighter into your armpit though which feels the same ?
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 11.6

Challenge Tour Pro

I think that would constitute an "artificial device" also prohibited by R. 14-3. It's not an artificial device per se, but is for the purposes of swinging a golf club.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    I think that would constitute an "artificial device" also prohibited by R. 14-3. It's not an artificial device per se, but is for the purposes of swinging a golf club.
    Doesn't matter whether it's an artificial device - the rule also covers use of equipment in an abnormal manner and your shirt is equipment.
    Handicap Challenge - 10 April - 17.9
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post

To my hair-splitting mind, a glove is equipment and the breach would be using equipment in an abnormal way - - as I said in Post #2. I don't see how any article of clothing could be called a device.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    To my hair-splitting mind, a glove is equipment and the breach would be using equipment in an abnormal way - - as I said in Post #2. I don't see how any article of clothing could be called a device.
    I'm with you on that. Adjusting a piece of clothing before you swing in this manner is hardly using it abnormally. I have done this in the past, subtly, and only in friendly rounds.

If the interpretation of the rules is correct we better all be careful if we pull up our trousers, tuck in our shirts or adjust our collars before swinging!!
    In the bag:TM M1 10.5 Driver; TM M2 5 Wood; MD Superstrong 21 degree iron or Mizuno MP001 7 wood; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 5-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 14.1

Cheers for the responses guys, top class as always!

Looks like I'm going commando next round then to avoid any potential rule breaks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I think you'd be able to pull your t shirt sleeve tighter into your armpit though which feels the same ?
    That's a great idea Chris, I'll be giving that a go next time my ball striking goes wayward during a round.

Dont think theres anything stopping you doing this in your practice swings ??