Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Is it allowed?

  1. #1
    Journeyman Pro snell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penshaw, Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,830

    Is it allowed?

    Evening.

    One of the drills I got after a recent lesson was to put a golf glove in my right armpit and make sure I keep it there during the swing to avoid chicken winging

    When I do this on the practice field it generally results in a much better strike.

    I would never do this whilst playing as I'd look and feel stupid....but I'm just curious could I do so if I wanted to?
    ..................

  2. #2
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,797

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by snell View Post
    Evening.

    One of the drills I got after a recent lesson was to put a golf glove in my right armpit and make sure I keep it there during the swing to avoid chicken winging

    When I do this on the practice field it generally results in a much better strike.

    I would never do this whilst playing as I'd look and feel stupid....but I'm just curious could I do so if I wanted to?
    You could if you didn't mind the penalty. It would cost you 2 strokes the first time you did it and a disqualification if you did it again. See what Rule 14-3 says about using equipment in an abnormal way. Your glove can assist you when it is on your hand (normal), but not under your armpit (abnormal).

  3. #3
    Major Champion chrisd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,197

    Re: Is it allowed?

    I think you'd be able to pull your t shirt sleeve tighter into your armpit though which feels the same ?
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

    Handicap 12.0

  4. #4
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    613

    Re: Is it allowed?

    I think that would constitute an "artificial device" also prohibited by R. 14-3. It's not an artificial device per se, but is for the purposes of swinging a golf club.

  5. #5
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sarf Lunnon
    Posts
    3,127

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    I think that would constitute an "artificial device" also prohibited by R. 14-3. It's not an artificial device per se, but is for the purposes of swinging a golf club.
    Doesn't matter whether it's an artificial device - the rule also covers use of equipment in an abnormal manner and your shirt is equipment.
    Handicap Challenge - 18.7 (10 Oct)
    The uglier a mans legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

  6. #6
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,797

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    I think that would constitute an "artificial device" also prohibited by R. 14-3. It's not an artificial device per se, but is for the purposes of swinging a golf club.


    To my hair-splitting mind, a glove is equipment and the breach would be using equipment in an abnormal way - - as I said in Post #2. I don't see how any article of clothing could be called a device.

  7. #7
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    397

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    To my hair-splitting mind, a glove is equipment and the breach would be using equipment in an abnormal way - - as I said in Post #2. I don't see how any article of clothing could be called a device.
    I'm with you on that. Adjusting a piece of clothing before you swing in this manner is hardly using it abnormally. I have done this in the past, subtly, and only in friendly rounds.

    If the interpretation of the rules is correct we better all be careful if we pull up our trousers, tuck in our shirts or adjust our collars before swinging!!
    In the bag:TM M1 10.5 Driver; TM M2 5 Wood; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 14.1>14.2>14.3

  8. #8
    Journeyman Pro snell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penshaw, Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Cheers for the responses guys, top class as always!

    Looks like I'm going commando next round then to avoid any potential rule breaks

  9. #9
    Journeyman Pro snell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penshaw, Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I think you'd be able to pull your t shirt sleeve tighter into your armpit though which feels the same ?
    That's a great idea Chris, I'll be giving that a go next time my ball striking goes wayward during a round.

  10. #10
    Journeyman Pro spongebob59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Is it allowed?

    Dont think theres anything stopping you doing this in your practice swings ??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Black Friday Golf Deals

Black Friday is the busiest time for shoppers to find great deals on the web, there are plenty of golf deals that are on offer on the day and before and after, we have collated the best ones we have found on the internet

November 24, 2017

Black Friday Nike Golf Deals

There are some outstanding offers for men and women on the Nike store this Black Friday

November 24, 2017

Black Friday Amazon Golf Deals

Amazon is an incredible place to buy anything of course, but the golf section on the website is a great place to find some goodies for your game

November 24, 2017

Get Jordan Spieths Open Winning Outfit this Black Friday and Save 124.50

Jordan Spieth winning the Open at Royal Birkdale was one of the iconic moments of 2017

November 24, 2017

Save over 500 on the Stewart Golf X9 Follow Remote Trolley

One of the biggest discounts we have seen is 500 off the state-of-the-art Stewart Golf X9 Follow Remote Trolley

November 24, 2017