Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The digital age, do you prefer living in it now or prefer life without?

Dont know if this has been done before but something else to think/talk about rather than all the Political goings on.

Personally I think I'm very lucky in that I've lived most of my life without the internet. Growing up and making my way through childhood - not much peer pressure - out playing every day from dawn til dusk, building camps in the woods as a secret hiding place, or so we thought, until some oiks came along and destroyed it. We even had a matress in there! When we weren't doing that, playing football all day or having wars with our catapaults firing at each other, although we soon stopped as it was getting a bit too dangerous when someone got whacked just above the eye!

And now in todays age with all the technology the world can throw at us. I think it's great and like to think that I embrace it all as much as I can. Things like internet banking, online shopping, member of forums, emails, smart phones with the ability to take and upload great quality photos.
    But I have to say that I draw the line at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc etc. I know the benefits of being able to keep in contact with family and friends but for me I can do that directly by phone.

So what are your thoughts, dont know how you could manage without, or wish someone could just stop the world and you get off?
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Re: The digital age, do you prefer living in it now or prefer life without?

Im certainly glad I spent my time at school and university pre internet and mobile phone days, expect my time wouldve been very different and I wouldnt have had such a varied experience.

The last 10 years Ive made most of my income from the internet so hard to be too critical, there is times where I feel it is clearly a negative influence and have greatly reduced my use of social media in recent times for more "real world" experiences.

Definitely think its a massive positive, but if overused can become addictive and destructive to a small percentage of people. Have to make sure its use is not at the expense of having proper relationships and communications with people
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Personally I think I'm very lucky, playing out everyday, dusk until dawn, building camps, tree houses and fires in the woods. Playing football and cricket all weekend on the local field, catapult fights, climbing trees.
    Then I got a Vic 20 (my pal got a zx81) and it changed my life, we still played football all weekend but went to our houses to play games on an evening. Many a late night/early morning was spent completing a game (Tir Na Nog anyone). Spending hours typing in programmes from Computer and Video Games magazine only for them not to work. Then came games consoles and subsequently the Internet which certainly opened the world to my eyes anyway.

It's a perpective thing, imo if you lived through these things and were young enough to embrace them it was all good, I know my uncles hated computers and consoles, they didnt get it at all.

I was born in 82 & I definitely wouldn't swap my childhood with kids today.
    I could have written the OP myself.

Tour Winner

another Radio 2 listener?
    IN THE BAG
    Orka GS5 10* Driver, 3 wood, GS5 19*, 22* & 25* hybrid,
    Orka RS5 4-6 irons, Orka RS3 7-PW irons
    Orka J29v 52* 56* wedges, Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo putter

H/C
    2017 start 13.6, >13.7, >13.8, <13.2, >13.3, >13.4, >13.5, >13.6, >13.7, >13.8, >13.9, >15.9, >16.0, >16.1, >16.2, >16.3, >16.4, >16.5

Grew up in the 70's and really enjoyed it. No mobiles no internet and no worries. I was allowed on a bus to the golf club from 11 onwards and was out with my mates every day playing footie or cricket in the local park Cubs and then scouts taught me some core values. Even when I started work in 83 there wasn't internet

Money List Winner

Oh how I long for the days when you could bugger off all day. Miss yer dinner and get home a stoopid o'clock. Yer mum, she never battered an eyelid.
    you would then do the same the following day.
    In the pub at Southend on Saturday watching City v Saints. Two birds came in, sat at the table for half an hour and spent the whole time on there phones. Never talked to one another. Why go out with one another?
    use the WWW. But it is not my god.
    Last edited by Tashyboy; 19-Apr-2017 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
    another Radio 2 listener?
    I did tune in today. I thought it an interesting topic rather than all the politics.

So what are your thoughts my forum friend?

Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Reminds me of a tweet j saw a couple of years ago from a guy who's Son needed a blank sheet of paper some opened a new Word Document and printed it out....
    If the electricity ever goes off for more than a day - we're screwed.
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

I'm another one who played out in the street and in the woods during those golden Summer days long long ago.

However I think modern technology is amazing but would ideally like to see kids today have the best of both worlds.

Sadly the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle and he sure as hell is not about to retreat back in there again without a fight.