Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 246
  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    35,964

    British & Irish Lions Tour 2017

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39624348

    So it seems that a couple of journos are saying that the squad is being leaked

    Joseph and Launchbury IMO should be in the squad

    No surprise if Hartley doesnt get picked as he isnt even the best hooker in England

    If i would to go for the starting 15 right now at a guess i would go

    1. Furlong
    2. Best
    3. Vunipola
    4. Itodje
    5. Kruis
    6. O Brien
    7. Stander
    8. Vunipola
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Farrell
    13. Davies
    14. Watson
    15. Hogg
    Last edited by DCB; 20-Apr-2017 at 10:03.
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

  2. #2
    Money List Winner GB72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    8,889

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    This is Gatland that we are talking about so strong Welsh presence is going to be guaranteed irrespective of form. Expect AWJ in the second row, Warburton on the flank if fit and would not be shocked to see Faletau. North not worth a start but will get one and Davies is not who I would pick but sounds like Joseph is not going to be on the plane. Sadly we are going to lose all 3 tests
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

    AND THE WINNER IS...............

    http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

    Handicap 14.9

  3. #3
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,139

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
    This is Gatland that we are talking about so strong Welsh presence is going to be guaranteed irrespective of form. Expect AWJ in the second row, Warburton on the flank if fit and would not be shocked to see Faletau. North not worth a start but will get one and Davies is not who I would pick but sounds like Joseph is not going to be on the plane. Sadly we are going to lose all 3 tests
    Agreed. I also don't get the hype for Rory best, he's no better than Hartley. I also believe that Farrell is a better 10 then Sexton and all that will keep Sexton at 10 is Murray at 9.

    I believe Scotland should have more than Hogg in the squad but fancy that may be it. This is probably one of the best potential lions squads but it won't be with the coach the squad deserves.

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,139

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39624348

    So it seems that a couple of journos are saying that the squad is being leaked

    Joseph and Launchbury IMO should be in the squad

    No surprise if Hartley doesnt get picked as he isnt even the best hooker in England

    If i would to go for the starting 15 right now at a guess i would go

    1. Furlong
    2. Best
    3. Vunipola
    4. Itodje
    5. Kruis
    6. O Brien
    7. Stander
    8. Vunipola
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Farrell
    13. Davies
    14. Watson
    15. Hogg
    You have Stander and OBrien the wrong way round. Pedantic I know.

  5. #5
    Tour Winner Kellfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York
    Posts
    3,015

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    British AND Irish Lions.

  6. #6
    Money List Winner GB72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    8,889

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Agreed. I also don't get the hype for Rory best, he's no better than Hartley. I also believe that Farrell is a better 10 then Sexton and all that will keep Sexton at 10 is Murray at 9.

    I believe Scotland should have more than Hogg in the squad but fancy that may be it. This is probably one of the best potential lions squads but it won't be with the coach the squad deserves.
    Certainly would find it easier to argue for a few more Scots in the team than i would to argue for any of the Welsh team to be in the starting 15. Think there are better choices across the board than any of the current Welsh side but would bet there are 4-5 in the starting 15 with another 2-3 on the bench
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

    AND THE WINNER IS...............

    http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

    Handicap 14.9

  7. #7
    Tour Winner JamesR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    3,385

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    If fit when the first test comes around I would go for:

    1 - Marler
    2 - George
    3 - Furlong
    4 - AWJ
    5 - Itoje
    6 - Stander
    7 - Warburton
    8 - Vunipola
    9 - Murray
    10 - Sexton
    11 - Wade
    12 - Farrell
    13 - Joseph
    14 - North
    15 - Hogg

    16 - Vunipola
    17 - Hartley
    18 - Sinkler
    19 - Henderson
    20 - Faletau
    21 - Webb
    22 - Henshaw
    23 - Daly

    But I imagine there will be more Welshmen, probably Jamie Roberts for his ability to run into the opposition, and Gethin Jenkins for his ability to be Gethin Jenkins.
    The Scottish scrumhalf (captain & kicker), forgot his name, would be a good squad option for the leadership & additional kicking option, but I think he is still injured.
    Agree about Best, he isn't a good enough thrower at the lineout to go against the ABs (Whitelock & Read in particular).
    Wade is my outsider, I think he is an excellent wing who is overlooked by England, and he did manage to get into the squad in Oz following injuries etc so maybe Warren likes him.
    I've also gone for a power pack as sub's as Warrenball will need bulk among the "finishers". Mako, Sinkler, Ian Henderson & Henshaw are all big hitters to come on late.
    Last edited by JamesR; 18-Apr-2017 at 13:55.
    H'cap: 5
    In the bag:
    Driver: Titleist 915 D2 - 9.5* - Diamana Blue 60 X
    5 Wood - Titleist 913 - 16* - RIP Phenom stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 - 19* - Diamana Blue 70 S
    Irons: Titleist TMB - 4 iron - DG AMT S300
    Titleist AP2 - 5 & 6 - DG AMT S300
    Titleist CB - 7 to PW - DG AMT S300
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 - 50*, 54*, 58* (M or S grind - I forget which)
    Putter: Odyssey Works Tank Versa #1 Wide
    member at: http://www.kedlestonparkgolfclub.co.uk/

  8. #8
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    I'm old fashioned. I like centres and wings who run around people, not over them. Gatland is a battering ram type of coach though so his choices wont be mine in that dept.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

  9. #9
    Money List Winner GB72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    8,889

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    Could see Ashton as a wildcard choice for wing
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

    AND THE WINNER IS...............

    http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

    Handicap 14.9

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,139

    Re: British Lions Tour 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
    Could see Ashton as a wildcard choice for wing
    Couldn't disagree there, why he consistently gets over looked by England is a mystery. His summer moves stops the mystery though.

    im more interest in his centre choices, if we see T'eo get the nod expect Farrell at 10 with Henshaw at 12 and normal Gatland ball trying to break the all blacks and fail spectacularly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Branden Grace Shoots First Ever 62 In A Major

The South African shot 62 at Royal Birkdale in the Open 2017 to become the first man ever to shoot 62 in a major championship

July 22, 2017

The Open 2017 Weather Forecast

We take a look at the Open Championship weather forecast at Royal Birkdale in Southport

July 22, 2017

The Open 2017 Championship Leaderboard

The last time The Open was at Royal Birkdale was in 2008, when Padraig Harrington won, check out the latest scores for The Open 2017 below

July 22, 2017

The Open Tee Times 2017: Third Round

Here are the tee times for round three of the 146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

July 21, 2017

Open Championship Golf Betting Tips

Finally it is the week you have all been waiting for, its the Open Championship and its at Royal Birkdale near Southport in the north west of England, check out who we have picked to do well with these Open Championship Golf Betting Tips

July 21, 2017