Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Unwelcome visitors

I used to live right next to a piece of land which was officially designated for travelling folks, so groups of tinkers, Roma and the occasional circus would come through and stay for a few days (I think the amount of time they were allowed to stay was limited to 10 days or 2 weeks or something like that). They could hook up to power and running water, but it was quite expensive, so sometimes they would come over to our house and ask if they could hook up a power cable to our landline. They were always willing to pay a fair price for it and we usually let them. There was one time when a Rom asked to borrow a handsaw. My housemate who owned our workshop was sceptical and gave him the oldest, rustiest, blandest saw he had, because he expected to never get it back. But the guy returned it with thanks the next day and said he sharpened it a bit. That he had. Ever after that it was the best handsaw we ever owned. I used it to build raised garden beds quite a few years later and it was still amazingly sharp. It was a bit of gypsy magic and it taught us to be a bit more open minded to our travelling neighbours and not to expect the worse of them.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I used to live right next to a piece of land which was officially designated for travelling folks, so groups of tinkers, Roma and the occasional circus would come through and stay for a few days (I think the amount of time they were allowed to stay was limited to 10 days or 2 weeks or something like that). They could hook up to power and running water, but it was quite expensive, so sometimes they would come over to our house and ask if they could hook up a power cable to our landline. They were always willing to pay a fair price for it and we usually let them. There was one time when a Rom asked to borrow a handsaw. My housemate who owned our workshop was sceptical and gave him the oldest, rustiest, blandest saw he had, because he expected to never get it back. But the guy returned it with thanks the next day and said he sharpened it a bit. That he had. Ever after that it was the best handsaw we ever owned. I used it to build raised garden beds quite a few years later and it was still amazingly sharp. It was a bit of gypsy magic and it taught us to be a bit more open minded to our travelling neighbours and not to expect the worse of them.
    I'd love to be more understanding, but this group have already left a trail of rubbish around the local area in the past two weeks. Probably a few thousand pounds worth to clean up and process, not to mention the fact that they are now camped on the rugby ground right in the middle of where there is supposed to be a large party at the weekend. They do not come across as the Romany type of traveller.

Club Champion

My old flat that I rent out has a piece of land next door, a couple years ago we had 15 caravans move in and was at the time I was looking for new tenants. Needless to say that whilst they were there I didn’t get anyone want to rent it and in the end it was empty for 3 months as the council took ages to clean up the mess they left.

I understand the frustration and I don't think it is easy. What helped in our case was that it was a piece of public land (I think it was owned by the city) with the basic facilities like toilets, water, power supply etc. Some groups still left a mess, but at least it was not on anyones private property. And in case that a group of travellers would try to camp out anywhere else, the authorities could step in and tell them to move to the designated land instead. Our house was the only one right next to it (and owned by the city as well, we just rented it and it was pretty dereclict itself, plus it was built on poisoned ground because it had been a tin factory before ... I am pretty sure most people thought we were gypsys as well. Or an anarchistic commune or something ... which wasn't even that far from the truth). I just think if a city or town can reserve a piece of land like that, it prevents travellers from camping out on parking lots or rugby fields or whereever else they are not welcome. Most of them are not looking to cause any trouble. They just don't want to (and in many cases could not) give up their traditional way of living.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

I’m sure theres a good number of travellers that are fine and respectful people, but it’s those that insist on emptying their open back truck on the country lanes, leaving loads of debris and waste after they have been removed from public open space or amenity and are generally ignorant that cause the aggro.
    Not too long ago my local authority obtained an injunction banning all travellers from pitching up in the area after hundreds of thousands of pounds being spent on repairing damage done and clearing waste up after their regular impromptu camps moved on.
    Sadly that has now expired, and they have returned and yes, leaving damage and waste which we the council tax payers have to cover.
    Forever trying.

I understand the frustration and I don't think it is easy. What helped in our case was that it was a piece of public land (I think it was owned by the city) with the basic facilities like toilets, water, power supply etc. Some groups still left a mess, but at least it was not on anyones private property. And in case that a group of travellers would try to camp out anywhere else, the authorities could step in and tell them to move to the designated land instead. Our house was the only one right next to it (and owned by the city as well, we just rented it and it was pretty dereclict itself, plus it was built on poisoned ground because it had been a tin factory before ... I am pretty sure most people thought we were gypsys as well. Or an anarchistic commune or something ... which wasn't even that far from the truth). I just think if a city or town can reserve a piece of land like that, it prevents travellers from camping out on parking lots or rugby fields or whereever else they are not welcome. Most of them are not looking to cause any trouble. They just don't want to (and in many cases could not) give up their traditional way of living.
    Every local authority has to provide designated sites for travellers in the UK. We have one a few miles away from where I live. It is next to a country park, a lovely spot. I believe they pay an amount per night to stay and obviously get their amenities. Despite this there are still travellers who will turn up in the area and stay on industrial estates, rugby pitches etc because it is free. They stay for 2-3 days until the police have the paperwork to move them on and then leave a colossal amount of rubbish behind. The least they could do if they stop somewhere is leave it as they found it, that is basic, but they don't and that gripes.

I don't know the percentage that behave like this, it may be small, but they damage the reputation for all of the decent people who live this life. Incidentally, where the heck do they get the money for the new pick up trucks, flash caravans etc? I see them on our industrial estate every year or two and the value of transport on display is significant.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Incidentally, where the heck do they get the money for the new pick up trucks, flash caravans etc? I see them on our industrial estate every year or two and the value of transport on display is significant.
    I guess it’s hard to send a tax return to someone with no address.
    I have to say I find it quite sickening that we have to fall over ourselves to cater for those who make no significant contribution to our society - and in many cases are actually a pest and a drain on public funds - when there seems to be much less appetite for action for people in genuine need like the homeless.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

I live in an area that is blighted by these scumbags every summer. They arrive en masse and move from supermarket carpark to public parks in a constant merry go round. There are always the do gooders in our area saying that they should just be left in peace and that they are only here for a month or so however I've also never seen these people offer out their own driveways and gardens.

The biggest issues we face is that crime goes through the roof, shoplifting and burglaries and the mess they leave is a sight to behold. Human waste, broken glass, building materials, you name it and you'll find it here. They cut through locks, parks are unusable whilst environmental health have to clean children's playgrounds up.

This year things have come to a head slightly. Local residents are bored with the constant lip service that local politicians spout and when the convoy of caravans is spotted cars are moved by locals to areas where we know they will go. They were caught breaking a lock on the local recreation group however luckily a van was parked up the other side to stop them. It won't be long before the residents resort to a vigilante type group unless the authorities start to take action, feels are running that high.
    In the Bag:

TaylorMade M2 Driver w/ Oban Kiyoshi HB Shaft
    TaylorMade M2 3 Wood
    Titleist 816H1 17Deg Hybrid
    Titleist 816H1 20 Deg Hybrid
    Edel Single Length/Callaway Apex CF16 Iron Combo set
    Edel Trapper Wedges (52/56/60)
    Edel E-2 Putter

My reoccurring nightmare is that should I drop dead my wife will sell my golf gear based on the price I told her I paid....

I seem to remember a tv program that showed a town in Ireland where about 80% of the residents went “mobile” during the warmer months, mainly in England, and then returned back home in the winter.
    Perhaps we should do likewise to their town.........
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by road2ruin View Post
    unless the authorities start to take action.
    They will.... the tax and rate paying mugs will end up in the Dock on "hate crime" charges....
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"