Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    Funnily enough not exactly going to plan but did manage my 1st handicap reduction when winning the medal this week with a 79...
    [to sound of popular footy chant] "you only post when you're winning" 😀

Sorry couldn't resist.

Well done anyhow. More than I have managed so far this year.
    In the bag;
    Wilson Staff Southside, Mizuno MPT/R 51, 54, 58, Cleveland 588 TT 5- PW
    Adams IDEA Super S 17º & 22º hybrids, Adams Speedline LS 15º f wood -> courtesy of Adams and GM
    Adams Super LS 10.5º

Assistant Pro

Really pleased with todays 6 over par 77 as was made up of 12 pars and 6 bogies as have been carding way too many doubles and the odd triple lately.

CAT 1 not going to happen this year but i am definitely making better choices on the course and so much more confident round the greens since have started to practice more.

Going to book some lessons and an on course package and see how that goes.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    Really pleased with todays 6 over par 77 as was made up of 12 pars and 6 bogies as have been carding way too many doubles and the odd triple lately.

CAT 1 not going to happen this year but i am definitely making better choices on the course and so much more confident round the greens since have started to practice more.

Going to book some lessons and an on course package and see how that goes.
    What did you start the year on? Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Keep going this season and get a winter of hard work behind you and surely it'll come next year

Ryder Cup Winner

One of my old friends, who I started playing, was making good progress but could never get under 90.
    I made a deal with him that I could get him under 90 if he let me select his clubs for a round.
    In the car park I told him to leave his driver and 60 degree wedge in the boot.

I knew his strong shots were to the green from about 80 to 120 yards out.
    He generally lost about 3 or 4 balls a game.

I clubbed him in a manner that on the long par 4's and par 5's his third shot was from the fairway at his good distance.
    I also clubbed him to play for the front fringes of the longer par 3's, and play 'sensible' recovery shots when in trouble.

On around the 16th he was getting excited about breaking 80 far less 90. He completed the round in the low 80's without losing a ball.

Getting to single figures is quite easy if you play to your strengths and think strategically.........unfortunately many golfers with big handicaps also have big ego's. They think they can play the same type of shots they see the top pro's playing.
    Last edited by Doon frae Troon; 13-Aug-2017 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    One of my old friends, who I started playing, was making good progress but could never get under 90.
    I made a deal with him that I could get him under 90 if he let me select his clubs for a round.
    In the car park I told him to leave his driver and 60 degree wedge in the boot.

I knew his strong shots were to the green from about 80 to 120 yards out.
    He generally lost about 3 or 4 balls a game.

I clubbed him in a manner that on the long par 4's and par 5's his third shot was from the fairway at his good distance.
    I also clubbed him to play for the front fringes of the longer par 3's, and play 'sensible' recovery shots when in trouble.

On around the 16th he was getting excited about breaking 80 far less 90. He completed the round in the low 80's without losing a ball.

Getting to single figures is quite easy if you play to your strengths and think strategically.........unfortunately many golfers with big handicaps also have big ego's. They think they can play the same type of shots they see the top pro's playing.
    Not sure I agree that getting there is easy. I do think some (and I've been guilty at times) do make poor shot choices which adds a killer score to a medal round, or try too hard to get points back if they blob a hole in a stableford

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Not sure I agree that getting there is easy. I do think some (and I've been guilty at times) do make poor shot choices which adds a killer score to a medal round, or try too hard to get points back if they blob a hole in a stableford
    Or (in my case) massively over think the technical aspects of my swing, rather than focusing more on being better at golf

I'm certainly guilty of trying to use my driver too much though. Did the same again yesterday.