Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    113

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    TBH it sounds like you are over thinking it.

    played a medal myself on Sat, no idea how many putts i had or fairways in regulation etc.

    enjoyed, it shot an OK score and was cut (came 2nd)
    I wouldn't have much of an idea on any until afterwards or really look at them to be honest but for all rounds I do record fairway, GIR and putts and have done for a while. I keep track of all my rounds on golfshake and find the analyse round part useful.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

  2. #22

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Here goes my first post a little story how my son got down to Cat 1 .....well having read the thread just to let you all know my son started hitting a golf ball back in July 2016 (the start of school holidays as he was only 15 ) he gave up football and said dad I want to play golf so I bought a second hand set of ping clubs and joined the local golf club where we live, I remember walking with him and his first ever 18 holes he shot 137 and with a lot of hard work in the range,lessons and with his coach he managed to get a down to Cat 1 golfer after his last comp which he shot 2 over par over he course he never played before and now plays of 5.4, he represents Glamorgan County and absolutely lover the sport, as I don't play myself he has put a lot of hard work into playing and with the club members that took him under their wings and with the county coaching he has had as parents we can't be more proud of him and can't thank everyone enough that helped him get to his current handycap and now his next goal is to get down and play of scratch or better.

  3. #23
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    113

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelems View Post
    Here goes my first post a little story how my son got down to Cat 1 .....well having read the thread just to let you all know my son started hitting a golf ball back in July 2016 (the start of school holidays as he was only 15 ) he gave up football and said dad I want to play golf so I bought a second hand set of ping clubs and joined the local golf club where we live, I remember walking with him and his first ever 18 holes he shot 137 and with a lot of hard work in the range,lessons and with his coach he managed to get a down to Cat 1 golfer after his last comp which he shot 2 over par over he course he never played before and now plays of 5.4, he represents Glamorgan County and absolutely lover the sport, as I don't play myself he has put a lot of hard work into playing and with the club members that took him under their wings and with the county coaching he has had as parents we can't be more proud of him and can't thank everyone enough that helped him get to his current handycap and now his next goal is to get down and play of scratch or better.
    Is he still using the pings? Well done to your son. Wish I had the head for it at 15.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

  4. #24

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    hello having talked to a lot of golfers and took advice from the pro we bought a set of AP2 irons and the M1 driver with a tour shaft and with all the other new bits and bobs we have spent a lot but it's good to see him really enjoying golf as he really enjoys playing and he is up playing now, he was 16 at the end of Jan and is looking forward to the tournaments this season

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    59,213

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelems View Post
    hello having talked to a lot of golfers and took advice from the pro we bought a set of AP2 irons and the M1 driver with a tour shaft and with all the other new bits and bobs we have spent a lot but it's good to see him really enjoying golf as he really enjoys playing and he is up playing now, he was 16 at the end of Jan and is looking forward to the tournaments this season
    Hope he has a good season and can get lower still. The important thing is that he still enjoys it though

  6. #26
    Money List Winner ScienceBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,191

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    If your contact is inconsistent you're moving your head.
    Keep your head still
    I have a good strike at the moment, when I don't immediatly lift my head to see where it goes!

    Nothing wrong with a bit of head movement if it happens as part of a good turn and drive. What is bad is wrenching it up to get full view of the ball flight.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

    Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

    Three Goals Method- My Game plan

  7. #27
    Ryder Cup Winner Region3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    12,191

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    I wouldn't have much of an idea on any until afterwards or really look at them to be honest but for all rounds I do record fairway, GIR and putts and have done for a while. I keep track of all my rounds on golfshake and find the analyse round part useful.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping track of stats, I'm just not sure how useful some of them are.

    I used to record them, but don't any more. I do go over the round and count the basic stats in my head later at home though.

    Unless a missed fairway at your course means an automatic dropped shot I wouldn't get too hung up on fairways hit. More important is whether or not you have a playable next shot. IMO obviously.

  8. #28
    Q-School Graduate jamielaing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    855

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    One thing about course management. Course management is not playing safe. Course management is finding the best way for you to score a par or better most of the time. There are some holes where aggression and going for it does that. There are times an iron off the tee is the answer. Work out what works for you. I would be looking at the double bogeys you are making. Are these on the same holes? Can they be put down to terrible luck or is there a pattern. There's a hole at my place, easy looking hole but I kept getting bogey or worse. Changed my strategy, now it's par 90% of the time.

    Look at dedicating your practice. Don't hit iron after iron or driver after driver. Full shots look after themselves in my opinion. Work on half swings, drop a ball in a terrible position and find how to get your bogey out it however you have to.

    Know your distances. Particularly half swings. Get every club PW and up and get your distances nailed down on 1/3, 2/3 and full swings. You'll have everything you need up to 100 yards.

    Good luck. I found getting to 6 relatively easy. From here it's tough.

  9. #29

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Many thx will keep you posted how he goes

  10. #30
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    113

    Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamielaing View Post
    One thing about course management. Course management is not playing safe. Course management is finding the best way for you to score a par or better most of the time. There are some holes where aggression and going for it does that. There are times an iron off the tee is the answer. Work out what works for you. I would be looking at the double bogeys you are making. Are these on the same holes? Can they be put down to terrible luck or is there a pattern. There's a hole at my place, easy looking hole but I kept getting bogey or worse. Changed my strategy, now it's par 90% of the time.

    Look at dedicating your practice. Don't hit iron after iron or driver after driver. Full shots look after themselves in my opinion. Work on half swings, drop a ball in a terrible position and find how to get your bogey out it however you have to.

    Know your distances. Particularly half swings. Get every club PW and up and get your distances nailed down on 1/3, 2/3 and full swings. You'll have everything you need up to 100 yards.

    Good luck. I found getting to 6 relatively easy. From here it's tough.
    Thanks for that. Really useful the half swing shots as like most spend the majority of my practice on full swings.

    Also the easy par 3 i referred to i have doubled the last two rounds so maybe a change of approach needed.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Tyrrell Hatton What’s In The Bag?

We take a look at the gear used by Tyrrell Hatton in winning the Italian Open a week after successfully defending his Alfred Dunhill Links title

October 16, 2017

WATCH: Tiger Woods Back Hitting Drivers

The 14-time major winner looks closer to a return after he posted a video hitting a drive

October 16, 2017

Tyrrell Hatton wins Italian Open

Tyrrell Hatton made it two European Tour wins in two weeks, claiming the Italian Open at Golf Club Milano by a shot from Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Ross Fisher.

October 15, 2017

Pat Perez wins CIMB Classic

Pat Perez clinched his third PGA Tour victory with a four-shot win over fellow American Keegan Bradley in the CIMB Classic at TPC Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.

October 15, 2017

Quiz Of The Week – 13th October

Just how much have you been paying attention to the world of golf this week? Test your knowledge...

October 13, 2017