Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Two choices then. New clubs that are more forgiving or have lesson(s) and see if that makes a difference. Hard at this time of year though off sodden fairways
    I'm thinking new irons possibly as another problem im having with the MP-25's is round the greens. I used to be so good with with a 9 iron chip and run putt shot and would get up and down more times than not but do not like how thin the new irons are and a bit like the 6 iron don't know what im going to get. Currently using the putter for these. Will have a good practice this week On the chipping green and try and get some confidence back.

Not really making it sound like CAT A can be done so far am i. Hopimg to use this thread though to motivate me and make me practice rather than just turn up twice a week and play.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsocks View Post
    Why stop at cat1, get to scratch!
    Will start that thread when i make it to cat 1.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Assistant Pro

Thought i'd update this every once in a while, don't worry i don't expect you to read all of it and won't do it every week.

So this week i managed two rounds: (Par 71 course)
    89 - 9/13Fairway 6/18GIR & 38 putts - Made up of 6 pars, 9 bogey, 1 double, 1 triple and 1 quadruple. The triple and quadruple were because I had a 4 putt followed on the next with a 5 putt and even though putting is one of my strong parts i couldnt blame the greens this time. Felt like Ernie at the masters.

81 - 10/13Fairways, 5/18GIR and 28 putts - Made up of 2 birdies, 8 pars, 6 bogey, 1 double, 1 triple (Greenside bunker in two on 1&3 led to double & triple).

Practice - 3x range sessions:
    - 50 balls - 6& 8 irons,
    - 100 balls 5&7 irons half and half using a tee and approx 30 with driver as have been hitting a few dodgy ones left.
    - 50 balls 10, 6 iron warm up followed by 3 wood

20 mins chipping green - 9& PW chip & runs)

Went to an American Golf Demo/Fitting day yesterday and bought a Callaway XR16 3 wood which will hopefully bridge the gap nicely between driver and 7 wood. Also subject to mizuno still making them i am going trade the MP25's in for the MP H5's which i already have the 4 iron in as i was so much more consistent with them. Shame because the 25's are really nice when you do catch it right but i dont think i would ever be 100% confident with them.
    Last edited by Crawley1981; 12-Mar-2017 at 21:48.

Tour Winner

Fairways are massively overrated. As you've stated above you hit 10/13 fairways (77%) which would basically be the best on tour.

the reason your only hitting 6 greens in reg? Because you're leaving yourself too much club in. So basically I couldn't disagree more with the comments from the other cat1 golfers.

To to give some context. I hit 6 of 14 fairways today (at Burnham a tough golf course) but I hit 13 greens in regulation (2 of the missed ones were par 3s).

You wont miss many greens with a wedge in your hand from the rough. You WILL miss a lot of greens with a 6iron left in from the fairway!!

everyone plays golf different, but the courses we play (in comparison to the pros), the rough will not penalise you.

Im not suggesting slash the driver everywhere but you have to no when being a long way down there and potentially in the rough is a better option than laying up a long way back. Ever get a chance to watch some top amateurs play, they aren't hitting irons off tees to hit the fairway, they are bombing driver everywhere.
    Last edited by MendieGK; 12-Mar-2017 at 22:13.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    Fairways are massively overrated. As you've stated above you hit 10/13 fairways (77%) which would basically be the best on tour.

the reason your only hitting 6 greens in reg? Because you're leaving yourself too much club in. So basically I couldn't disagree more with the comments from the other cat1 golfers.

To to give some context. I hit 6 of 14 fairways today (at Burnham a tough golf course) but I hit 13 greens in regulation (2 of the missed ones were par 3s).

You wont miss many greens with a wedge in your hand from the rough. You WILL miss a lot of greens with a 6iron left in from the fairway!!

everyone plays golf different, but the courses we play (in comparison to the pros), the rough will not penalise you.

Im not suggesting slash the driver everywhere but you have to no when being a long way down there and potentially in the rough is a better option than laying up a long way back. Ever get a chance to watch some top amateurs play, they aren't hitting irons off tees to hit the fairway, they are bombing driver everywhere.
    I agree with this, especially knowing Woldingham which begs to be attacked after the first couple tee shots where they run down the massive sideslope into trees much past 200. Only really dangerous tee shot is the 10th imo.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Assistant Pro

It really depends where you're losing most of your strokes how you should go about practicing. If you are really serious about putting work in I'd probably get a lesson every 3 weeks alternating between short game and full swing. Also make sure you get out and play a bit, being cat 2 you can get cut pretty quickly as it's 0.2 for every shot. My handicap came down pretty sharply until I got to 2 then it became a little more difficult, but everyone is different.

Good luck, but unless you have natural hand eye coordination it will take lots of effort and dedication. Like others have said, get good from inside 100 yards and hole most of your putts from 6 feet or less and you will do it.

Assistant Pro

1st Comp of the season today for me in the Mid Week medal and was going so well being 2 over after 10. Got lucky on the par 3 11th with a 4 after going from greenside bunker to the one on the opposite side of the green but then ended up doubling the fairly easy par 3 15th and par 5 16th which was annoying.

28 putts today which was impressed with as have been working on it. 2x3 putts not so pleased with.

5 GIR's and they were all on the first 9. 8/13 Fairways.

Lost 4 of the 9 shots on the par 3's so going to try and work on that this week as only hit 1/5GIR on them and left myself difficult 2nds on 3 of them.

Happy with staying the same overall as only 2nd time of the proper comp tees this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    Currently just gone back up to 9 (8.7) as have 0.1 in the last few comps so to get to Cat 1 i suppose could be achieved but is going to take lots of practice which is something i seriously lack in at the moment but i do play atleast twice a week.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and practice tips especially because i could count on two hands how many times i have been on the range, putting green or chipping green in the last year.

Really struggling with my irons at the moment also as ball striking not consistent enough so possibly looking at trading them in why AG are offering double. Problem i have for example is a 6 iron will go 160 some hits and anything from 130 on others so par 3's causing a massive problem as dont know what im going to get.
    First thing is to start thinking like a cat 1 golfer.

So get rid of that list of what clubs you use, that'll be a good start 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    1st Comp of the season today for me in the Mid Week medal and was going so well being 2 over after 10. Got lucky on the par 3 11th with a 4 after going from greenside bunker to the one on the opposite side of the green but then ended up doubling the fairly easy par 3 15th and par 5 16th which was annoying.

28 putts today which was impressed with as have been working on it. 2x3 putts not so pleased with.

5 GIR's and they were all on the first 9. 8/13 Fairways.

Lost 4 of the 9 shots on the par 3's so going to try and work on that this week as only hit 1/5GIR on them and left myself difficult 2nds on 3 of them.

Happy with staying the same overall as only 2nd time of the proper comp tees this year.
    TBH it sounds like you are over thinking it.

played a medal myself on Sat, no idea how many putts i had or fairways in regulation etc.

enjoyed, it shot an OK score and was cut (came 2nd)
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017