Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

Currently just gone back up to 9 (8.7) as have 0.1 in the last few comps so to get to Cat 1 i suppose could be achieved but is going to take lots of practice which is something i seriously lack in at the moment but i do play atleast twice a week.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and practice tips especially because i could count on two hands how many times i have been on the range, putting green or chipping green in the last year.

Really struggling with my irons at the moment also as ball striking not consistent enough so possibly looking at trading them in why AG are offering double. Problem i have for example is a 6 iron will go 160 some hits and anything from 130 on others so par 3's causing a massive problem as dont know what im going to get.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Re: My journey to (Hopefully) CAT 1 - Can i do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    Currently just gone back up to 9 (8.7) as have 0.1 in the last few comps so to get to Cat 1 i suppose could be achieved but is going to take lots of practice which is something i seriously lack in at the moment but i do play atleast twice a week.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and practice tips especially because i could count on two hands how many times i have been on the range, putting green or chipping green in the last year.

Really struggling with my irons at the moment also as ball striking not consistent enough so possibly looking at trading them in why AG are offering double. Problem i have for example is a 6 iron will go 160 some hits and anything from 130 on others so par 3's causing a massive problem as dont know what im going to get.
    If you are having strike issues then surely simplest answer would be to get a lesson, get it sorted and get consistency in your distances and hitting more greens. Good luck with getting to Cat 1

See where the poor strike is coming from via a lesson as Homer said and then the best way to get better is to play/surround yourself with people who are better than you imo.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    If you are having strike issues then surely simplest answer would be to get a lesson, get it sorted and get consistency in your distances and hitting more greens. Good luck with getting to Cat 1
    Have tried lessons, in some ways i dont think im good enough for the MP-25's. In the summer i didnt struggle on the harder ground though and probably all in my head. However possibly be a good idea to try another lesson and explain the problem as last lessons were when i got the new irons and was just to try and improve my game.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley1981 View Post
    Have tried lessons, in some ways i dont think im good enough for the MP-25's. In the summer i didnt struggle on the harder ground though and probably all in my head. However possibly be a good idea to try another lesson and explain the problem as last lessons were when i got the new irons and was just to try and improve my game.
    Two choices then. New clubs that are more forgiving or have lesson(s) and see if that makes a difference. Hard at this time of year though off sodden fairways

Why stop at cat1, get to scratch!
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

If your contact is inconsistent you're moving your head.
    Keep your head still
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

My ball striking struggles when im too fast going back , so slow & deliberate going back and power through the ball .. you have to see the club hitting the ball tho , thats a must . concentrate on that & follow through would be my advice

Had aim of cat 1 myself last yr , started on 7.5 finished on 8.0.. so i guess 6.something would be a good yr , it aint easy ..

Good Luck
    Last edited by bladeplayer; 04-Mar-2017 at 20:04.
    Golf... A simple game played by complicated people ...

As a long time cat1 player in the past to get to cat 1 first you need pars and lots of 'em and limit damage to bogeys only, doubles or worse will kill you.
    Stating the obvious but hitting fairways is key, don't go driver all the time, play the percentages and use 3w or hybrids to ensure you're hitting 2nd off the short stuff. Get a higher loft driver and grip down a little. Short grass is more important than yards. Machismo/ego needs to go.
    Iron play - timing is key as is getting through the ball for consistent strikes and consistent distances, if its off currently swing easier, take more club, get a rhythm going then work it up to speed. 90% of male golfers don't club correctly, generally too little club for shot.
    You need to develop one miss, either right or left, not both, you can course manage that way, almost impossible if you miss both ways.
    Short game is obviously key, you need those pars so getting good with the pitches and chips is also key as is bunker shot technique, pitching/chipping takes a combo of loads of practice, knowing all your distances for full and half shots with 3 wedges, and leaving yourself in spots you can chip from (see misses earlier).
    Putting you can easily work on, as a cat 1 player you will have an awful lot of short putts you need to hole to stay in buffer - practice. Leave yourself uphill putts whenever you can.
    Engage your golf brain - know you weaknesses (everyone inc v good players has them) and play to strengths for effective course and score management!
    Got to enjoy it too, if you get hung up on cat 2 too much you'll be too tense to relax, relaxed muscles swing a club better. Getting to cat 1 wont change you, as soon as you play off 5 you'll want to be off 4 etc etc.
    Last edited by maxfli65; 04-Mar-2017 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    As a long time cat1 player in the past to get to cat 1 first you need pars and lots of 'em and limit damage to bogeys only, doubles or worse will kill you.
    Stating the obvious but hitting fairways is key, don't go driver all the time, play the percentages and use 3w or hybrids to ensure you're hitting 2nd off the short stuff. Get a higher loft driver and grip down a little. Short grass is more important than yards. Machismo/ego needs to go.
    Iron play - timing is key as is getting through the ball for consistent strikes and consistent distances, if its off currently swing easier, take more club, get a rhythm going then work it up to speed. 90% of male golfers don't club correctly, generally too little club for shot.
    You need to develop one miss, either right or left, not both, you can course manage that way, almost impossible if you miss both ways.
    Short game is obviously key, you need those pars so getting good with the pitches and chips is also key, takes a combo of loads of practice, knowing all your distances for full and half shots with 3 wedges, and leaving yourself in spots you can chip from (see misses earlier).
    Putting you can easily work on, as a cat 1 player you will have an awful lot of short putts you need to hole to stay in buffer - practice. Leave yourself uphill putts whenever you can.
    Engage your golf brain - know you weaknesses (everyone inc v good players has them) and play to strengths for effective course and score management!
    Got to enjoy iy too, if you get hung up on cat 2 too much you'll be too tense to relax, relaxed muscles swing a club better. Getting to cat 1 wont change you, as soon as you play off 5 you'll want to be off 4 etc etc.
    Great post.
    Everyone makes a huge fuss about the distance they hit it on here. As pointed out in the above post, its meaningless if it 300yrds in the rough/tree's. HIT THE FAIRWAYS! its my biggest key to going low, as even as a cat1 player I'm going to miss greens but I'll have a better chance from a fairway of making pars/birdies.
    You don't have to be a range rat, but practice of some sort is needed. Work out what your weaknesses/strengths are. Work on both and spend lots of time from 120yrds in.
    HCP 2017: 5.2 -> 3.8
    Selby GC