Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Callaway Epic driver

Hi. Has any other forum member tried the new Epic driver from Callaway?? I have a 2015 XR and thinking of an upgrade and having hit the Epic whilst having a golf lesson, it did impress me. Just not sure +£400 is where I should be looking for a new big dog

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Callaway Epic driver

Quote Originally Posted by J1minezW View Post
    Hi. Has any other forum member tried the new Epic driver from Callaway?? I have a 2015 XR and thinking of an upgrade and having hit the Epic whilst having a golf lesson, it did impress me. Just not sure +£400 is where I should be looking for a new big dog
    Great big Bertha 2016 is a better club than the Epic in my opinion get one on eBay for £140 ish.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by J1minezW View Post

I'm not one to say certain clubs are incredible, and not a huge fan of Callaway.
    but...
    I had a fitting session at American Golf last night, the Epic was +20 yards on my current Nike driver and more forgiving!
    But only +5 on the new Titleist 917. M1/M2 similar to Titleist but I didn't get great numbers on it.
    However... the Epic had incredible numbers when I thought I'd hit a crap shot!
    Hit one high block that went 258yds!
    Traded in my old driver on their scheme and ordered an Epic.
    I nearly went for the Titleist...

I expected the new tech. to give me +5 yards. But cannot ignore +10 to +20!
    Especially if that forgiving.
    Last edited by GreggerKBR; 16-Feb-2017 at 11:16.
    Vardon: "Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."

Biggest thing for me with the Epic is the distance you get when you don't hit a good shot..Combine with straighter shots and you're making your bad shots better..
    Good hits from the centre are probably comparable to others but I don't hit the middle that often.
    Epic 9°
    X2 Hot 4w 17°
    Big Bertha 7w 21°
    Big Bertha 4h 23°
    Legacy BlackV 5-PW (Champion Golfer's Irons)
    MD Forged 50/10, 54/10
    MD2 58/14
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.3 at Whipsnade Park/Aylesbury Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

I recently had a fitting session with the Epic and 917. My current bat is a TM JetSpeed. I liked the 917 but the Epic edged it for me. What I was blown away with with the Epic was how good my bad shots were. Way more forgiving than my current driver. I also gained nearly 40 yards and my average spin rate dropped from 3100 to 2000rpm. Hell of a club.

Next up I will be trying the M1 and M2. They will have to be pretty special for them to displace the Epic.
    TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver 10.5*
    TaylorMade JetSpeed 3 Wood 15*
    TaylorMade M1 Hybrid 19*
    TaylorMade JetSpeed Hybrid 22*
    Ping G25 Irons 4-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey 50 & 54
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 1

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Matty6 View Post
    I recently had a fitting session with the Epic and 917. My current bat is a TM JetSpeed. I liked the 917 but the Epic edged it for me. What I was blown away with with the Epic was how good my bad shots were. Way more forgiving than my current driver. I also gained nearly 40 yards and my average spin rate dropped from 3100 to 2000rpm. Hell of a club.

Next up I will be trying the M1 and M2. They will have to be pretty special for them to displace the Epic.

+40 yards!
    Wow... I wouldn't even be testing anything else!

Totes agree - very similar to my findings... which is why I splashed the cash
    Vardon: "Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."

Tour Winner

40 yards. i dont think the epic can be '' a hell of a club '' I'd say your previous driver was "one hell of the wrong club"

your jetspeed driver couldn't be any different characteristic wise compared to the epic.
    Last edited by hovis; 17-Feb-2017 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    I'd say your previous driver was "one hell of the wrong club".
    I've always struggled with it to be honest. I find it so unforgiving.

My average total distance with my JetSpeed was 205. I was averaging 243 with the Epic.

However, I am finding it difficult to justify spending over £400 on one club!
    TaylorMade M1 Hybrid 19*
    Ping G25 Irons 4-PW

Tour Winner

I've always struggled with it to be honest. I find it so unforgiving.

My average total distance with my JetSpeed was 205. I was averaging 243 with the Epic.

However, I am finding it difficult to justify spending over £400 on one club!
    as already mentioned I'd consider getting your hands on a callaway great big bertha. I've seen the figures myself and they are almost matched. there really is almost nothing in it. you can pick one for for about 150 used and sell it for not far off that if you don't like it. by then the epic will have fallen in price too.

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    as already mentioned I'd consider getting your hands on a callaway great big bertha. I've seen the figures myself and they are almost matched. there really is almost nothing in it. you can pick one for for about 150 used and sell it for not far off that if you don't like it. by then the epic will have fallen in price too.
    Thanks Hovis. Good point.

I think I saw one at the pro shop the other day. I'll see if I can have a hit with that.
    TaylorMade M1 Hybrid 19*
    Ping G25 Irons 4-PW