Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Money List Winner

Re: Callaway Epic driver

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    My SLDR with a cut down Black Tie was out performing the Epic down in Kent, it couldn't reach some 5w drives from Ash though  which tells me it's more about matching the right club & shaft to yourself than any magic wand that your going to just pick up and start nailing down the fairways 30+ yards further!

In fact I've read loads of reviews from people on drivers over the years on here and how their bombing them now further than ever before but I've never seen that backed up at meets 樂

I know who the constant big hitters are on this forum and I'm pretty sure if I gave them my driver or anything else they'd still hit it well and better than me.

Put the £400 or any proposed value of a new driver towards lessons AFTER you've found (been fitted) for the right shaft flex & length, imo of course ️
    Or just duff a two iron and send it even further than a flushed drive.

Hey Blue........

Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post

Hey Blue........

I hear ya Papas…………

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post

Hey Blue........

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    I hear ya Papas…………
    But in the end it was give us your money, that right fish

Ok this might sound strange but as I said bought the Epic last week after trailing the demo from the shop for 2 round and a practice session. Had a quick go after I bought the new club and only hit 1 decent shot out of the 5 hits. So I'm up the club right now and smack a bucket of balls with my new Epic and it is really inconsistent. Went and got the demo club to check shaft and set up both the same. Took all the marking off the demo club except sticker on sole and muddle the clubs up hit 20 with each and hit 19 excellent shot with one driver bout 5 with the other. Kept the drivers apart the whole time and switched between shot. The demo won it. Can't explain why but I now Own the demo instead,it could be me but I can't argue with a blind test. Any one else ever have this.
    Callaway Epic driver
    Cobra f6 3 wood
    Cobra f6 5 wood baffler
    Cobra forget tec 4/Gw
    Callaway mack daddy 3 54 58
    Oddessey metal X 8
    Taylormade tp5 ball

handicap 7

one of the guys in our roll up has just got one. he was using and old Cleveland driver that was at least 15 years old. he went to St Andrews fitting center a couple of years ago to try all sorts and came back with the same driver as nothing then even got close to that driver.

must have seen i noticeable improvement to change.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tab373 View Post
    Ok this might sound strange but as I said bought the Epic last week after trailing the demo from the shop for 2 round and a practice session. Had a quick go after I bought the new club and only hit 1 decent shot out of the 5 hits. So I'm up the club right now and smack a bucket of balls with my new Epic and it is really inconsistent. Went and got the demo club to check shaft and set up both the same. Took all the marking off the demo club except sticker on sole and muddle the clubs up hit 20 with each and hit 19 excellent shot with one driver bout 5 with the other. Kept the drivers apart the whole time and switched between shot. The demo won it. Can't explain why but I now Own the demo instead,it could be me but I can't argue with a blind test. Any one else ever have this.
    There was a rumour a while ago that demo clubs like this were hand picked, shafts were spined/pured, etc, to optimise the demo club. It was once suggested that if you hit the demo club that well, you should offer to buy the demo club and let them replace it with one from shop stock, and that if they weren't happy to do so there would be a reason…...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    There was a rumour a while ago that demo clubs like this were hand picked, shafts were spined/pured, etc, to optimise the demo club. It was once suggested that if you hit the demo club that well, you should offer to buy the demo club and let them replace it with one from shop stock, and that if they weren't happy to do so there would be a reason…...
    Can't explain it but played today with my new demo and hit it so solid. I have heard about what you said before and I am starting to believe it.
    Callaway Epic driver
    Cobra f6 3 wood
    Cobra f6 5 wood baffler
    Cobra forget tec 4/Gw
    Callaway mack daddy 3 54 58
    Oddessey metal X 8
    Taylormade tp5 ball

handicap 7

I had a fitting at AG and pulled the trigger on one a sub zero. I wasn't swinging it particularly well though as my back was hurting me so I'm still not convinced on the shaft - fujikira pro green stiff. I hit it straight but the spin was pretty high (2600) but the ball flight was nice and flat.

from my current titleist I was actually gaining 15 yards on good shots which is pretty remarkable. Most impressed me was the misses. So much better than my misses with the D3

Goong for a another fitting tonight with a pro to try out some of the other shafts and AG said because there's a bit of a lead time I can swap the shaft if I choose.

the Aldila max feels so so stiff. I swing around 104-106 and it was so rigid. Any suggestions that are better than the fujikira pro green? I have no idea what the profile of this shaft is but worked pretty decent. Just felt whippy and if I want to go after one then I can see me having problems with it.
    The Bats:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero
    Titleist 915F 3 Wood
    Cobra KING 2 Iron
    Titleist AP2 716
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Handicap Challenge:
    SugarPenguin (11.6 > 8.7) vs. louise_a (11.6)

played with the guy who got the driver i posted about the other day. and he said the biggest gain for him was the drop in spin of almost 1000 revs.

Boy did he hit a few big hits with it
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Snelly

A friend of mine turned up to play yesterday and he had just bought an Epic Driver (some sort of low spinning version I think), 3W and 5W. He took the plastic covering off just before we played!

I tried the driver a couple of times and it was shorter than my Cobra - to be expected as it was not necessarily optimised for me although to be fair, neither was my Cobra - it just went further and straighter than the other 10 or so that I tried.

Anyway, it is a very nice looking club but I would have to have a lot of stuff in my life to justify paying that much money for a driver. My friend (3) hit it reasonably well but no better than I have seen him play before.

The Epic 3 wood was a different story though. He hit it as far as my best drives with a lovely low trajectory. Really awesome. We were both over 330 yards downwind on our flat par 4 4th hole and his was a yard in front of mine but with a 3 wood!!! Mental.

In summary, beautiful looking clubs and the 3 wood is a real beast but I could not justify the purchase of one - way too expensive for my taste.