Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

How Close Are You To Leaving?

When I joined my club, it had the best greens I've ever seen. Gradually over the years they've got worse, although we had a good year last year (greens wise). It's a beautiful setting, with some spectacular hole BUT, the back nine is "on a flood plane" and this is getting used as the excuse why the back nine is, not to put too finer point on it, a swamp, all year. Drains were put in by Severn Trent when they put a huge pipe in though the course ( before I joined) and it was superb, even after rain. But now? Shocking. Most of the time through the winter we're only on the front nine, and mostly on temps. The river burst it's banks two weeks ago and some of the large swap bits drained away?????? This was put down to the flood water "maybe" unblocking the drains. But no one will investigate this! I'm the comp sec I got dumped with it last year so am now more involved and want to see the course back to how it was but I am being frustrated by other committee members not being very communicative. Thing are being done to the course, but not the things that meed sorting, like the drainage.
    So, do I hang in there? The members are great!!!! Or do I leave? My current thinking is to hang on one more year.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Money List Winner

Re: How Close Are You To Leaving?

I'm 1 month and 20 days away from leaving. Going to a muni to keep my handicap and will just be playing scratch open comps around the country with the money I'm saving

The green staff where I'm leaving are not managed and will do the absolute bare minimum they can get away with.
    Is this really a game we play for pleasure?

Titelist 915 D2 10.5* Silver Rogue (s)
    TM M1 15* Graffaloy Prolaunch Axis (s)
    Callaway Xhot2 19* Tour Design DI(s)
    Srixon 20* ZU45 Miyazaki Blue 7s
    Srixon z745 4 & 5i Nippon Modus (s)
    Srixon z945 6-pw Nippon Modus (s)
    Vokey SM4 52*
    Vokey SM4 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport
    Titleist Pro-v 1
    Srixon stand bag/ Callaway Big Bertha Tour
    H'cap 3

http://www.motleygolf.co.uk

I come off the committee at the AGM next month, expect I will keep my membership until the end of summer and then reassess but be very surprised if Im still there this time next year.

Course took a big step backwards last year and pretty fed up with some of the stuff going on behind the scenes. Where I go is a far harder question to answer (especially if still living in Milton Keynes, hopefully we'll be on the move again!)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

The key thing to think about is where will you go to. If you have a good alternative then jump ship. If the alternatives are not so great then maybe give it one more year. If it is still the same then you are almost forced into moving. The only thing you don't want to do is cut off your nose etc. Take a deep breathe and think it through.

I find it is like doubting your putter or driver. Once you have doubts in your head you are more likely than not to move. It just nags away at you.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Done, gone... I left about two months ago. When I first joined and for a number of years the place just got better and better and it was a great cost/atmosphere/condition club. I felt that we then stood still for a while and started to move backwards.

I have to say, some of this was also about my lack of interest.

I don't have a plan but I have looked at Centurion, Ashridge and Berkhamsted but ended up making no decision. I could end up at a little 9 hole 4 mins from my house so that I can have a bit of fun and not be a missing father for this period of my life. That said, as soon as the little one shows any interest at all I will be on it like white on rice.
    Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
    Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Ping Ketsch - 35"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I find it is like doubting your putter or driver. Once you have doubts in your head you are more likely than not to move. It just nags away at you.

Ye, I have been looking at Scotty`s.... My poor Edel is... I duno what it is...
    Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
    Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Ping Ketsch - 35"

i did think about i briefly, as the fee's have gone up by almost 50% since i joined. i was way too cheap to start with for a top 100 course. but i con't see the increase slowing down any time soon. Yes its way cheaper than down south. Money isn't a problem for me but once it gets to £1000 it will be double what most other clubs charge.

but it is the best course with the best greens ad you can pretty much play when you like.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

I left one of my clubs, just couldn't justify two memberships when I'm about to take on a much bigger mortgage. Trouble is no club round here really seems to tick all the boxes for me so it's always a compromise.

The new house is nearer to a different course as well so I'll be having a serious think about joining there in the future. Different set of trade offs though.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

I love everything about my place, but would have left this year if nothing were done about a couple of handicap cheats.

Thankfully they were dealt with and they're upset enough over it to not renew this year, so I'll be staying put.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i did think about i briefly, as the fee's have gone up by almost 50% since i joined. i was way too cheap to start with for a top 100 course. but i con't see the increase slowing down any time soon. Yes its way cheaper than down south. Money isn't a problem for me but once it gets to £1000 it will be double what most other clubs charge.

but it is the best course with the best greens ad you can pretty much play when you like.
    Without getting into a rating Nairn discussion, what are they saying they spend it on? They charge fees on a par with Dornoch and slightly less than CS, but I can imagine that they are charging 2-4 times what other local private courses are.

Nairns greens were the best when I played it, so do they keep twice the green staff that other local courses do, have they re-designed some holes, built a clubhouse extension, or anything else that justifies the large hike on what you were paying 3-4 years ago.

I can imagine that its bearable if lots of the above have happened, and may even be a short term measure, but if carries on at that rate it can be unaffordable. Have the members kicked up a fuss at AGM's etc

I know some local courses here such as S and A and West lancs have had 5 year "building levies" of say £100 a year on top of the annual fees, but that is for a fixed term and for a particular benefit (brand new clubhouse, or major extension).