Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Smart meters.....what's the point

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    It is to save energy, that includes the energy used by meter readers coming around to your shed.
    My current digital meter meter must use less energy than the newer smart meters, as well as being more enviromentally better as there are no batteries needed, as it does less.
    Forever trying.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Why? if it aint broke why mess with it.
    It's technological progress. Smart technology will be commonplace pretty soon.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Did your supplier tell you it wasn't compatible or did you base it on this thread?

As I said, the initial trial meters couldn't be switched without being dumbed down but processes were put in place that in most cases they can. You'll find stories on the internet about this but they're years old. It depends on which meter and which supplier, as not all are geared up. Once the main roll out starts the meters will be fully transferable.

This is based on where they were a year ago, I'd expect the situation is better now.
    My supplier (First Utility) offered me a smartmeter a week ago. The manufacturer (Siemens) told me that particular model was not compatible with any major supplier and only a few smaller ones.

I declined the offer.

Smart meters are brilliant.

The bad thing was putting a little display device to go along with it.

Just use a phone app and Bluetooth. Could have saved millions.

Loved the data. Hated the display.

Glad I don't have a display now but still have a remotely read meter.
    Last edited by ScienceBoy; 09-Sep-2017 at 08:07.

I was meant to get one fitted in our house back in July between 8-12. Waited in till 12.05 and no sign of them or a phone call to say they will be late. I received a letter a week later apologising for their unprofessional dealings with me. Haven't heard anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Smart houses are here to stay. And although people can resist as much as they want to (and I am sure some people will) , it will become the norm pretty soon for most people. So just embrace it and get on with it.
    Totally agree but not resisting nor embracing. If I had one fitted I'm pretty much sure I'd barely look at it. Just what info would it give me? It'll tell me that the TV and Sky box are on. Yes they're supposed to be. It'll tell me the fridge is on. Yes its supposed to be. It'll tell me there's a table lamp on in the lounge. Yes its supposed to be on. And when I'm cold it will tell me I've put the heating on.

It will tell me all the things I already know and have known for years. Is it going to change my habits? No of course it won't. I want to watch the TV, and I want the fridge to keep the food chilled, and I'll want the heating on when I'm cold.

So what does it achieve? It sees lots of people in offices burning energy/electricity/gas administering a programme that sees lots of men in factories making Smart meters, who send them out to lots of people that run around in vans(burning fossil fuels) to fit something the vast majority of people will ignore.
    Give it big humpties

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Totally agree but not resisting nor embracing. If I had one fitted I'm pretty much sure I'd barely look at it. Just what info would it give me? It'll tell me that the TV and Sky box are on. Yes they're supposed to be. It'll tell me the fridge is on. Yes its supposed to be. It'll tell me there's a table lamp on in the lounge. Yes its supposed to be on. And when I'm cold it will tell me I've put the heating on.

It will tell me all the things I already know and have known for years. Is it going to change my habits? No of course it won't. I want to watch the TV, and I want the fridge to keep the food chilled, and I'll want the heating on when I'm cold.

So what does it achieve? It sees lots of people in offices burning energy/electricity/gas administering a programme that sees lots of men in factories making Smart meters, who send them out to lots of people that run around in vans(burning fossil fuels) to fit something the vast majority of people will ignore.
    Yes it will change some peoples habits once you see how much each of your appliances use. They don't just tell you if something is on or off, they tell you how much electricity each appliance is using. We had one fitted 3 months ago and it is an eye opener how much electricity certain things use and how relatively little other things do. So my behaviour in terms of use of appliances has changed slightly. Not a huge amount on my own, but multiplied by several million and it will make a difference. Also I like to think I am doing a very small bit for the environment, kind of trying to leave the planet is a slightly inhabitable state for future generations, in a hippy dippy woolly liberal yurt eating tree hugging way.

And I suspect that most electronics nowadays are not made by 'men in factories' but by mostly automated production lines.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Smart meters. Pfaff. I know that my kitchen lights at 500 w is where the money goes in my house. Its not hard to work out. There is no mystery here. I dont need a meter to inform me. Any one who cant work out where the money goes is an eejit

But what do people switch on that they don't need or want on? I'm all for being disciplined and managing what I want on, I just don't need a meter to tell me something is on.

As for adopting/ substituting technologies to improve the environment I spent a couple of hours today researching hybrid cars, energy and fossil fuel consumption with a view to getting one. For example for every 2 gallons of fuel used in a Hyundai Ioniq you'll use 3 in an Astra. Now that is a genuine saving and benefit.

Automated production lines; the Labour feeds the production lines and ships the end product. The speed and volume of production actually, in many cases, uses more energy than the man with a screwdriver. Automated doesn't necessarily equal energy savings.
    Give it big humpties

The classic example is filling a kettle when you only need one cup. Plenty of people leave TVs etc on when not actually watching them, lights in other rooms etc.

However, this is all just one of many benefits of smart meters so don't get hung up on it if you already monitor your usage effectively.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!