Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Smart meters.....what's the point

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Government legislation has given suppliers a time limited to fit them in all users homes. Eventually you'll have no option.
    That's what I thought although I was recently speaking to someone who works in this industry and he has said the legislation has changed. Currently it is a cost to the consumer, i.e. you pay for a smart meter. You can't be forced to pay and the gas/electricity providers have said the government can't force them to install them for free.
    I discuss forum threads, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by londonlewis View Post
    That's what I thought although I was recently speaking to someone who works in this industry and he has said the legislation has changed. Currently it is a cost to the consumer, i.e. you pay for a smart meter. You can't be forced to pay and the gas/electricity providers have said the government can't force them to install them for free.
    I got mine a good couple of years and they were fitted FOX so I didn't realise that you had to pay these days.

Smart Meters are a bit like a Fitbit. A fitbit tells you how far you walk but only makes a difference if you use that information and act on it to walk more to hit targets. Smart Meters are the same, tell you your energy use and they are useless unless you take that information and use it to reduce your overall energy useage. If, like our one, it just sits on the side and is ignored then it really has no purpose.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

Quote Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
    Smart Meters are a bit like a Fitbit. A fitbit tells you how far you walk but only makes a difference if you use that information and act on it to walk more to hit targets. Smart Meters are the same, tell you your energy use and they are useless unless you take that information and use it to reduce your overall energy useage. If, like our one, it just sits on the side and is ignored then it really has no purpose.
    Not quite true as their purpose is much more than encouraging consumers to lower consumption. However, in this particular aspect you are correct.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Well I had my leccy supplier telling me it was time to change my meter, so I make the booking. Now I understand with the old mechanical meters why you needed to on a certain time frame, but why with my current digital meter?
    Anyway guy turns up, with smart meter. I ask why it has to be changed when its digital...."displays can go blank", valid point but if it was a regular happening they would be changed from production I say. Anyway, I explain I dont want smart meter...no problem he says and marks it as meter refused.
    As he said, until the new second generation smart meters are produced and fitted, there is no point in the current ones.
    Forever trying.

Money List Winner

Smart houses are here to stay. And although people can resist as much as they want to (and I am sure some people will) , it will become the norm pretty soon for most people. So just embrace it and get on with it.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    This.

And the kids.

There is no way that a smart meter will change their behaviour. They just don't get it.

On the privacy issue. This is a huge concern and I'm surprised that there isn't more resistance to it. If there are two things we know about utility companies it is that they are (a) incompetent and (b) willing to do anything to make a quick buck. They will either lose or flog this data as soon as they have it.
    There are vast amounts of data being collected by many companies about you, your habits and lifestyle.

Worrying about NPower doing it now is a bit late.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Smart houses are here to stay. And although people can resist as much as they want to (and I am sure some people will) , it will become the norm pretty soon for most people. So just embrace it and get on with it.
    I always try to be one or two generations behind on modern technology coming out, purely until the latest updates have been proven to work and on the cost. The latest TV might look incredible but wait a couple of years for it to be shown to work consistently and the price to drop and then I'll be in. The same with Smart meters. I'll let others trial them and iron out the bugs and then when that's all sorted I'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Why? if it aint broke why mess with it.
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Why? if it aint broke why mess with it.
    It is to save energy, that includes the energy used by meter readers coming around to your shed.