Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Smart meters.....what's the point

So they want everyone to have a smart meter. They're not so smart that they are not compatible supplier to supplier, and they just seem to be a marketing data and cost cutting device. I know when I am using elecy as that item will be on, so really....what is the point of them?
    Forever trying.

Re: Smart meters.....what's the point

You can get real time data on energy consumption. Which will help you use energy more efficiently. Should hopefully mean significantly less energy usage as a nation onc smart meters are rolled out uk wide.
    Suppliers get accurate readings so they can bill you properly on actual reading rather than estimated ones.
    After the initial set up costs the ongoing cost to serve of each customer will be significantly lower since it will be very rare for anyone to need to physically visit your meter.
    Greater flexibility wrt tariffs available to customers and tariff changes can quickly be performed remotely.
    Initial pilot schemes were supplier specific so not initially transferable when changing supplier but processes have been coming in to allow this assuming you switch between suppliers who are running smart trials.
    Once the full programme rolls out you will be able to switch between suppliers and that process should work more seemlessly than at present with dumb meters due to the timely availability of final and initial readings.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Ok...I understand.
    But..... The leafy co get an accurate meter reading from me every 3 months when they send me a bill, which then send back with accurate readings.
    The current smart meters aren't compatible supplier to supplier, and the next gen which would be aren't even out yet.
    I know when IM using leccy as Inswitched something on.
    Do Really trust an company only interested in profits to remotely switch my tariffs to suit them?
    It costs a large amount to roll this all out, and we are paying for it with littlemofnthe benefit to us.

You might guess Imdont believe the gumpf about them.
    Forever trying.

Ryder Cup Winner

When they trialed water meters on the IOW use of water fell drastically.
    People became very aware of how much was wasted.

Q-School Graduate

I work for one of the big 6 energy suppliers, this is as much of a pain in the backside for us as it is for customers.
    No chance of everyone getting one by 2020.

I love my OVO supplier, I get an email 7 days before asking me to put my readings into their website, there's loads of graphs & stats on the site offering me info to help save on energy and what my averages currently are and projections for the future are, we've reduced our gas & electric massively since being with them for over 5 years now.

Keep it simple 👍

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzatron View Post
    I work for one of the big 6 energy suppliers, this is as much of a pain in the backside for us as it is for customers.
    No chance of everyone getting one by 2020.
    Well there will be at least one who won't have one after 2020 unless the government introduces legislation.

There's a massive programme rolling out smart meters and developing the central systems. The technology is there but it will take time to install them in every home in the country.

Not everyone gets accurate bills based on actually readings. It is especially difficult when tariffs change since they are usually unable to get an actual reading on the tariff change date.

You might know when you are using an appliance but it is very difficult to tell how much energy that device is using and consequently how much it is costing you. A smart meter linked to an in home device will help overcome that.

They can't just change tariffs without informing you but if you don't trust them there's not much that can be said to change your mind.

I almost hesitate to point it out to you but, if there is a concern about smart metering, it is around privacy. Your energy supplier will be able to tell a lot about you from your meter readings. For example, whether you are home or not and the times when your home is usually empty. Sensitivity and security around this data features highly in the programme.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Well there will be at least one who won't have one after 2020 unless the government introduces legislation.
    I don't think you'll have a choice, certainly not in the long term.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    When they trialed water meters on the IOW use of water fell drastically.
    People became very aware of how much was wasted.
    And, after a settling in period usage went back to 'normal' levels...