Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD - Lives up to its name.

This Driver is by far the best I have hit - not just saying that as I have recently bought it. (Used pictures online as mine were terrible)

After picking up the first thing I did was get down to the driving range!

At address the driver is intimidating to start off with being a slightly smaller head - very similar to the Titleist D3 Offering. The sound and feel is really pure off the face and you definitely get feedback from a mishit. My best shot of the evening was 287 carry. My worst (still straight) was 225. Mi***** aren't forgiving at all for this driver - you know straight away when you have hit a bad one. It is the longest driver I have hit and I tested quite a few whilst making a choice - Mizuno, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway.

It is a low spinning driver with all the work ability you would ever need. I hit draws, cuts, high and low. Whereas a lot of drivers I have tested were aimed towards going just straight. Which is great but I wanted to get something that I could hit the shots that my local course would demand.

reviewdriveraddress.jpg

Hit a few shots with it in a 9* draw setup and wanted to tweak - The adjust ability on this driver was one of the easiest I have used the weights in the sole are easy to take out and change (even in freezing conditions!). Within 1 minute I had setup to a neutral 10* and was swinging. The club can be set from 9-11* and a few Neutral or Draw options through the weights.

reviewdriverhero.jpgs-l300.jpg

Shafts - I believe there were quite a good few stock shafts ranging from R S and X on the second hand market you will find the Aldila Rogue Silver quite a lot - which was mid launch and didn't play as stiff as the marking on it which is worth knowing. Mine was fitted with a Diamana whiteboard 70g XStiff. Personally the extra weight and stiffness has helped. But definitely worth getting a good understanding from your local pro. Even if you then just know what you need and go for second hand. You could with a bit of negotiation get one of these for around £110-£120.

Check out the video below for an idea of sound and the ball flight I was getting with a Smooth Swing set up at 10 degrees neutral. I went up to one of the 'peasant bays' after our Pro got bored of me!

If you want a driver that is lower spinning, workable and long. This would be the way to go. But I would warn. It isn't the easiest.

Bomber.
    Driver - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 - Diamana D+ 70 XSTIFF3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 - TourAD XStiff Mizuno MPH5 3 Iron - Project X 6.54-6 - Mizuno MP-15 Project X 6.57-PW - Mizuno MP-4 Project X 6.550,55,60 - Mizuno T7 - Project X 6.5PutterNever Compromise Portafino Ltd Edition H/C 5.9

Tour Rookie

Re: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD - Lives up to its name.

Finished 2nd behind the M1 in mygolfspy testing for 2016 so obviously a great driver.

My 915 finished 6th which I'm surprised at
    In My Bag: Driver: Callaway Epic Driver set to 8 degree. Woods: Callaway epic 3 wood Hi-Loft 16.5 Hybrid: Titleist TMB 3 utility + Titleist 816 3 hybrid Irons: Titleist AP2 716's 5i-PW Wedges: Vokey SM6 50, 54 & 58 Putter: Scotty Newport M2 Handicap - 2015: 28 > 27.6 > 27.7 > 27.8> 25.8 > 25.4, 2016: 25.4 > 24.6 > 24.7 > 24.8 > 21.6 > 21.7 > 19.5 > 19.6 > 18.4 >18.5>16.5 (after review) 2017 Aim: get to 12.4 handicap and break 80

If you can get 108mph out of that 'half-swing', that's bleeding impressive!

PS: I do wish the 'swear' checker was a bit smarter - miss-hits (without the hyphen) keep getting flagged!!
    Adams Speedline Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15 set to 13.5 Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15 set to 16.5 Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20 at 21 Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23 at 24 Matrix Red Tie S
    McGregor PCB Tour 5-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    If you can get 108mph out of that 'half-swing', that's bleeding impressive!

PS: I do wish the 'swear' checker was a bit smarter - miss-hits (without the hyphen) keep getting flagged!!
    Leave my half swing alone! I am very upset about it, I don't have the flexibility at the moment to go any further. So I am turning quite a lot to generate club head speed towards the end of it. Tiring stuff. Feels like I am at the gym!
    Driver - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 - Diamana D+ 70 XSTIFF3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 - TourAD XStiff Mizuno MPH5 3 Iron - Project X 6.54-6 - Mizuno MP-15 Project X 6.57-PW - Mizuno MP-4 Project X 6.550,55,60 - Mizuno T7 - Project X 6.5PutterNever Compromise Portafino Ltd Edition H/C 5.9