Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Hits ball off tee with practice swing

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    The Rules say nothing of the sort. The Rules do not define a practice swing.

The Rules do not define a practice stroke. They do of course define a stroke, unqualified by any other word. The definition includes an intent to hit a ball.

Some golfers are confused as to the difference between a practice swing and a practice stroke, neither of which appear in the Definitions section of the Rules book. The main feature of apractice swing is that there is no intention by the player to move any ball. It occurs when a player simulates a stroke, usually in preparation for making one. It may also be used as a loosening-up or training exercise while waiting to play. Conversely, a practice stroke is made with the intention of striking at and moving a ball, even if it is a plastic ball (ie it is a stroke by definition).
    I'm losing the will to live, I'm out.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    When were you in (tune with the Rules)?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Bob

Rulefan is saying exactly the same as I was saying in my earlier post. A practice swing is made without a ball, a practice stroke is made by taking a swipe at an actual ball. It's rather simple, really.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Rulefan is saying exactly the same as I was saying in my earlier post. A practice swing is made without a ball, a practice stroke is made by taking a swipe at an actual ball.
    And therefore in the context of actually playing a round, there is no such thing as a practice stroke, right? The only time you can make a practice stroke is when practicing, not when actually playing. Have I got that right?

<caveat>You're allowed to practice putting and chipping after finishing a hole, so I guess in those cases you can make a practice stroke while playing a round</caveat>

I had created a post rather similar to Rulefan's re Definitions but somehow (fortunately?) lost it!

The Definitions are all-important in/to the context of The Rules! Anything that is not specified is either noise or is subject to interpretation - often badly! The Definition of 'Stroke' precludes the additional description 'practice' - at least in terms of The Rules - as it states '... with the intention of hitting and moving the ball...'!

However, there is reference to 'practice swing' and 'practice stroke' in Note 1 of Rule 7 (Practice)....

Note 1: A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules.

So practicing you 'putting stroke' before actually making a stroke is a mixture of terms!
    Adams Speedline Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15 set to 13.5 Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15 set to 16.5 Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20 at 21 Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23 at 24 Matrix Red Tie S
    McGregor PCB Tour 5-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on!

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    This is getting mighty confusing.

If you intend to hit the ball, it's a stroke.
    If you don't intend to hit the ball then it's not a stroke.
    So what the hell is a "practice stroke"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Specifically, if there is such a thing as a "practice stroke", and it is different to a "practice swing", can someone please explain what the physical action is that distinguishes them?
    You can make a practice swing (no intention of hitting a ball) at any time, provided you don't hit or move the ball in play or ground the club in a hazard. There are circumstances when you can play a practice stroke with a ball, such as practising chipping or putting on or around the last green played and completed, or near the next tee before you tee off (put a ball into play). This is provided you do not unduly delay play and there isn't a local rule prohibiting such practising.

Challenge Tour Pro

bobmac, why would you disagree with the rules? You can disagree with someone's interpretation or application of them, don't see how you can disagree with the rules...they are what they are and we cannot change them and not agreeing does not change them either. Puzzled. :-(

Challenge Tour Pro

This is all a bunch of jabberwocky, arguing about distinctions between terms that do not exist in the rules. If we want to make up a term to describe something then we define it how we please and arguing about it is futile. But trying to make our words fit in the rules will go nowhere.

There is a stroke and it will advance the ball if successful, but nonetheless count in the score. Anything else that moves the ball is not a stroke and does not count in the score, unless other rules add legislated strokes to the score.
    Last edited by atticusfinch; 11-Jan-2017 at 20:12.