Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Theresa May - Not up to the Job of PM?

Is she got what it takes to be PM? Or is she like Gordie Broon - competent and totally comfortable in a very senior government role - but basically just not up to the job of PM.

Two recent examples of where a PM needs a thick skin but where May shows that hers is not so thick: taking a very hard and public line on cabinet leaks when she knows that in politics leaking is part of the game. This just gives the impression that she feels vulnerable and not in control; and the Trousergate - where she has set her #1 'attack dog' on Nicky Morgan and banned her from No10 and from attending Brexit meetings - for suggesting nigh on £1000 on a pair of pants in a photo shoot is not quite the message the NAACs (Not At All Coping) and JAMs needed. That just seems petulant and counter productive.

Then there is her almost complete silence on approach to Brexit - except when she is slapping down miscreants making statements verging on Brexit policy feelers - sounds like micro-management borne of insecurity. And my wife commented that she seems to be walking with more of a stoop these days - is the weight on her shoulders getting too much?

I actually did have hopes for TM - but not sure she is up to it.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Tour Winner

Re: Theresa May - Not up to the Job of PM?

If the latest polls are any indication, with the Tories on 42% and Labour trailing on 25%, Mr J Public seems to think she's doing OK.

She has always stooped but she is being pictured more now, especially walking on her own, so it stands out more. She is getting more Monty Burns like but I think her choice of short jackets exaggerates the stoop which does not help.

Early days. PM's like control. Alistair Cambell ruled behind the scenes with a rod of iron, others have tried to follow. Nicky Morgan was sacked from her role so I suspect she is not a fan anyway. I actually agree with her comments regarding Brexit and don't understand people who expect her to give constant updates on what she would like out of it. The only thing I have not liked is the occasional soundbite, red, white and blue Brexit for example. That is not what she is about and she needs to stop that. People like her being straightforward, we don't want soundbites from her.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

You may be right but what are the alternatives? Looking at the current cabinet no-one is jumping out as a better candidate than TM, maybe just Michael Fallon or Philip Hammond.

She's in unchartered waters, unenviable position for her, wouldn't surprise me at all if she didn't last that long, tough job but she wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    You may be right but what are the alternatives? Looking at the current cabinet no-one is jumping out as a better candidate than TM, maybe just Michael Fallon or Philip Hammond.

She's in unchartered waters, unenviable position for her, wouldn't surprise me at all if she didn't last that long, tough job but she wanted it.
    I agree she is in a very unenviable position and wonder who would take her place. After all we were very close to having Boris Johnson as PM and Andrea Leadsome as chancellor. I am 1000% happier with May and Hammond. And were Ken Clarke to be Foreign Secretary then they'd be a Tory Remain Top Gear (yes it's been said many many times before)

So no idea what might happen two years down the line from now if she does not, or is unable to, deliver a hard Brexit
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Dec-2016 at 12:02.

She's doing just fine
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Ryder Cup Winner

I thought she would be OK but must admit to being slightly underwhelmed.
    At the time I said it was a 6 month proxy job but her main right wing rivals have thankfully fallen by the wayside.

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

I cant see any real problems

She doesnt have a magic wand to make it all better, she has to oversee a process which I think they are right not to rush into
    The only decision I disagreed with was Boris as FS, but she is probably of the opinion that it is best to keep him under close control rather than let him off the leash and have a free voice from the back benches.

as to what she looks like or what she wears, ....It doesnt bother me either way
    Driver Callaway Big Bertha 9 Degree, A-Flex
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway XR 22 Degree A-Flex
    wilson staff FG Tour v4 utility iron Reg
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.5 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge : Me 8 : 11 Him

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Is she got what it takes to be PM? Or is she like Gordie Broon - competent and totally comfortable in a very senior government role - but basically just not up to the job of PM.

Two recent examples of where a PM needs a thick skin but where May shows that hers is not so thick: taking a very hard and public line on cabinet leaks when she knows that in politics leaking is part of the game. This just gives the impression that she feels vulnerable and not in control; and the Trousergate - where she has set her #1 'attack dog' on Nicky Morgan and banned her from No10 and from attending Brexit meetings - for suggesting nigh on £1000 on a pair of pants in a photo shoot is not quite the message the NAACs (Not At All Coping) and JAMs needed. That just seems petulant and counter productive.

Then there is her almost complete silence on approach to Brexit - except when she is slapping down miscreants making statements verging on Brexit policy feelers - sounds like micro-management borne of insecurity. And my wife commented that she seems to be walking with more of a stoop these days - is the weight on her shoulders getting too much?

I actually did have hopes for TM - but not sure she is up to it.
    What business is it of Nicky Morgan's, or anybody else's for that matter, what trousers Theresa May wears for an interview in The Times? How does Mrs. Morgan know that Mrs. May paid that much for the trousers; could they have been a gift? I would not have known, and frankly could not care less, what Mrs. May chooses to wear or what its supposed value is had Nicky Morgan not chosen to bring it into the open, and frankly if the best thing that Nicky Morgan has to currently discuss is the price & suitability of Theresa May's choice of clothing then I can't see she would bring much to a Brexit meeting and frankly she won't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    What business is it of Nicky Morgan's, or anybody else's for that matter, what trousers Theresa May wears for an interview in The Times? How does Mrs. Morgan know that Mrs. May paid that much for the trousers; could they have been a gift? I would not have known, and frankly could not care less, what Mrs. May chooses to wear or what its supposed value is had Nicky Morgan not chosen to bring it into the open, and frankly if the best thing that Nicky Morgan has to currently discuss is the price & suitability of Theresa May's choice of clothing then I can't see she would bring much to a Brexit meeting and frankly she won't be missed.
    The point is that it got to TM - and she should have been able to completely ignore it - or if it did sting she should either have kept it to herself or not react in such a public and somewhat petulant manner,

On your 'does it matter' question? - Well to me no - except I thought they were pretty yeugh, However sartorial elegance (or apparent lack of it) did for Michael Foot. I can see NMs point. May did not need to be wearing a VERY expensive pair of fancy pants for a magazine photo shoot. She could have been a little bit more cognisant of public perception.