Page 735 of 855 FirstFirst ... 235635685725733734735736737745785835 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,350 of 8549

Thread: Article 50

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    .That said my main concern remains what happens when the electorate don't see the changes in immigration expected.
    Why, those who voted leave are no more racist than those that voted remain, contrary to remain spin. Having lived in Europe and the rest of the world longer than I have lived in the U.K., my experience is that we are far more tolerant than most EU countries.
    Most level headed people's concerns on immigration is based on infrastructure and space.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Why, those who voted leave are no more racist than those that voted remain, contrary to remain spin. Having lived in Europe and the rest of the world longer than I have lived in the U.K., my experience is that we are far more tolerant than most EU countries.
    Most level headed people's concerns on immigration is based on infrastructure and space.
    Where did I suggest that anyone who voted leave was racist?

My comment is simply one of numbers and service provision. Significant reductions in immigration, plus good numbers from the existing immigrant communities leaving, will reduce queues and waiting times for all public services. I think that that is pretty self-evident - and from what I have heard many, many times over the last 18months it is what is expected by many who voted Leave.

But from what I read and hear - the reductions and departures will happen in anything like the numbers required to make a difference - for many reasons - one being that we need the current level of immigration - or not far from it.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    It was Dr Fox who said that he wouldn't let the UK be 'blackmailed' by the EU...
    You're looking out of context - I refer you to the comment reported by the BBC...

Michel Barnier said he would never resort to blackmail but saw it as his job to "educate" the UK about the price it would pay for leaving the EU "club".

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Remain campaign set things out fine, had nothing to gain as incumbent and everything to lose against a campaign of half truths based on unseating Cameron by rival Tories, not on actually leaving EU or else there would have been some semblance of a plan of what happens when we do leave, clearly there wasn't.
    Has done nothing to heal Tory divisions over Europe but did kill off UKIP threat. PM in a weak spot, Govt trying to ride roughshod over parliament and economy and currency devalued.
    Can anyone really say anything good has come or will come of this? Just can't see it personally. Heading for political isolation and no say in Europe.

What he said.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Out of interest, did your lad vote to leave ?
    To be absolutely honest I really don't know which way he voted...

Very, very rare politics is discussed at home...

He only mentioned his managements concerns as he is looking at his future options presently...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Feel free to 'spin' away the large increase in recorded racist attacks/incidents within the UK shortly after Brexit.

With regard the campaigns I reckon I am not alone in that I'd long made up my mind which way I was voting...

From where I was sitting it appeared tory boys or girls were leading both campaigns which must've been confusing for some...

And, yes I do know it was a Labour lady that was the official leader of the exit campaign...
    But without googling how many could name her? Not many I suspect...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by drdel View Post
    You're looking out of context - I refer you to the comment reported by the BBC...

Michel Barnier said he would never resort to blackmail but saw it as his job to "educate" the UK about the price it would pay for leaving the EU "club".
    Indeed he did - in response to Liam Fox's statement.

Whether we need educating on what leaving the EU and the SM in particular will mean - well pretty much anyone who voted Leave will tell us that they knew exactly what leaving the EU and the SM meant - and so will rail at these words of Barnier. I might suggest that most of us don't actually know what it means, and I reflect that when Remain tried to tell us they were accused of scaremongering - Project Fear...and so the attempts of Remain to explain were largely ignored by many.

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    To be absolutely honest I really don't know which way he voted...

Very, very rare politics is discussed at home...

He only mentioned his managements concerns as he is looking at his future options presently...
    FWIW - My children 21 and 24 (and both university educated ) both voted to Remain and they are none too happy that we are leaving.

Job done

If May has decided that £50bn is the settlement figure to be offered after the Tory Party Conference that will be OK'ish if we have a 3yr transition. I suspect the agreement of the figure will be binding - even if we end up with No Deal. In those circumstances the £50bn looks horrendous - so I suspect that May and Davis have decided that No Deal is not an option.

Job done