Page 729 of 835 FirstFirst ... 229629679719727728729730731739779829 ... LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,290 of 8346

Thread: Article 50

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by SwingitlikeHogan View Post

We knew the consequences of triggering Article 50 - we can have few (if any) complaints...
    So you are saying its ok for the EU to pass any laws it wants, post triggering Article 50, with no input from the UK and the UK just has to suck it up? We didn't even get a chance to exercise a veto. You seriously believe its our fault? Unbelievable!!

You've pitched in with some quirky arguments but the above just beggars belief. You really are happy to see the UK suffer aren't you.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    We will get nothing out of our exit settlement .
    Perhaps you can explain EXACTLY how you know this to be fact.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    no, No, NO. I am not at all happy. I am bleedin' furious that we seem to be heading for a huge settlement payment for which we will get NOTHING. But fishing rights - taking back control etc...
    Actually, there will be some other funding 'returned' to UK! So not actually 'Nothing'!

Those UK based projects already agreed and included in the forward commitments will (or at least should!) continue to be funded. Of course, as per the rules, the UK Government has to have committed to contribute to the funding of those project as well! And farmers should continue to receive the subsidies/grants they would have expected to receive had the UK stayed within the EU.

However, those payments from the EU are significantly less than the (GDP based) contribution the UK makes!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 01-Sep-2017 at 17:20.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    As as you say, it is FDs understanding but how the figure can be so varied means that someone in the EU has their maths wrong so what you you think or feel is irrelevant unless you have thoughts on the different figures being banded about.
    Footballers being sold for 200 million, EU after 100 billion, who knows anymore what anything is worth.

It is not someone getting their maths wrong, it is them trying to get as much from us as possible, they start high, we start low, we meet in the middle. DD and TMay will spin it as a victory against the greedy EU which the Daily Mail and Brexiters will lap up, the EU will spin it as setting an example for other countries and The Guardian and me and Hoggie will lap that up.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Actually, there will be some other funding 'returned' to UK! So not actually 'Nothing'!

Those UK based projects already agreed and included in the forward commitments will (or at least should!) continue to be funded. Of course, as per the rules, the UK Government has to have committed to contribute to the funding of those project as well! And farmers should continue to receive the subsidies/grants they would have expected to receive had the UK stayed within the EU.

However, those payments from the EU are significantly less than the (GDP based) contribution the UK makes!
    That's true but we entered EEC/EU in the first place because of easier trade with neighbours and a stronger bigger economy. The economy is stalling and will shrink after Brexit so although there's a saving to be made by not contributing to EU coffers, it will be offset by a larger shrinkage in GDP and our economy so overall we lose. Most experts would say that's nor a price worth paying.
    Comes back to the main reasons Leave won - a rejection of Camerons austerity and blaming our ills on immigrants along with nostalgia for commonwealth/empire and Britains once greater place in the world by primarily older voters.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post

I agree - I was not fully clear - for as long as we are IN the EU (and probably including a transition period but that tbd), the settlement covers our payments into the pot, and payments and funding to the UK from the pot continue. If we crash out in March 2019 then settlement payments calculated to 2020 (end of the MFF) or beyond will give no return - as far as I can see.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Let's not blame the older voter, rather the younger voter who failed to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    So you are saying its ok for the EU to pass any laws it wants, post triggering Article 50, with no input from the UK and the UK just has to suck it up? We didn't even get a chance to exercise a veto. You seriously believe its our fault? Unbelievable!!

You've pitched in with some quirky arguments but the above just beggars belief. You really are happy to see the UK suffer aren't you.
    I am not at all happy to see the UK suffer. If we suffer it is because we have triggered Article 50 without fully understanding or explaining the consequences. I am most definitely 100% NOT happy. I'd have thought that obvious given I would prefer that we did not leave the EU.

I expect May, Davis & Co and all other leavers to explain any suffering or difficult consequences resulting from Brexit. Whining that the EU is not playing the game doesn't cut it for me. We have brought this upon ourselves.

That said - and I shall repeat unless it is forgotten - if we must leave I hope we sort out this mess and a decent exit is agreed.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 01-Sep-2017 at 17:49.

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    That's true but we entered EEC/EU in the first place because of easier trade with neighbours and a stronger bigger economy. The economy is stalling and will shrink after Brexit so although there's a saving to be made by not contributing to EU coffers, it will be offset by a larger shrinkage in GDP and our economy so overall we lose. Most experts would say that's nor a price worth paying.
    Comes back to the main reasons Leave won - a rejection of Camerons austerity and blaming our ills on immigrants along with nostalgia for commonwealth/empire and Britains once greater place in the world by primarily older voters.
    Dangerous ground to be treading...

Job done

[QUOTE=SwingsitlikeHogan;1742535]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post

What a load of ... fake news BBC...

But EU funding of the BBC makes for a great basis for a good whinge - and for dismissal of anything the BBC says about how things are going.

Only £2.3m in THAT link .... Not much then... tough gig
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"