Page 728 of 844 FirstFirst ... 228628678718726727728729730738778828 ... LastLast
Results 7,271 to 7,280 of 8431

Thread: Article 50

Money List Winner

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Would anybody sanction giving the EU 100 billion Euro without knowing what you'll get in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    My understanding is that there's nothing directly in return for whatever we pay, it's our share of expenditure we are already committed to. Our negotiators at this stage need to make sure we fulfill our legitimate obligations and no more than that.

Only after that's finalised will the discussions on future trade and any fees that will be required be discussed. That's the money we'll be getting something in return for.

So your quite happy thrownning a 100 billion Euro at it without not knowing what you'd get in return. Hopefully you don't do the shopping.
    Exchange rate is irrelevant to the post. Nice deflect though.
    I think FD answered your point quite eloquently and sensibly 8 odd posts ago. But feel free to ask it again in another 9 posts time as if we have learnt nothing else from this post, repetition pays...
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    I think FD answered your point quite eloquently and sensibly 8 odd posts ago. But feel free to ask it again in another 9 posts time as if we have learnt nothing else from this post, repetition pays...

As as you say, it is FDs understanding but how the figure can be so varied means that someone in the EU has their maths wrong so what you you think or feel is irrelevant unless you have thoughts on the different figures being banded about.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Ah - still in Japan? Dr Liam Fox - Britain must not be “blackmailed” by Brussels into settling the so-called divorce bill before starting trade talks

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7923571.html

Now Dr Fox. As I am told that the UK is in control of things - that the EU will come crawling to us for a trade deal - German Cars, German cars etc - I'd have thought that there would be ZERO risk of us being blackmailed. So why raise the risk or spectre that we might? Are you telling me that we are not in quite as much control as I have been led to believe.

Meanwhile in the US of A Dave Davis tells his audience that we won;t be able to agree a trade deal with the US until we are fully out of the EU and post and transition period. That hardly feels like what Donald Trump expects - a "powerful" trade deal with the UK to be completed "very quickly".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40540340

Ah well. Bash on, it'll be fine - though on LBC at the moment my pal Nigel is not so sure. Good old Nigel, every ready to twist the knife in what he considers to be a bunch of feckless Tories.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

So your quite happy thrownning a 100 billion Euro at it without not knowing what you'd get in return. Hopefully you don't do the shopping.
    Exchange rate is irrelevant to the post. Nice deflect though.
    no, No, NO. I am not at all happy. I am bleedin' furious that we seem to be heading for a huge settlement payment for which we will get NOTHING. But fishing rights - taking back control etc...

Job done

Liam Fox asked 'can we not just make an offer for a settlement to enable us to get on to negotiating a re-engagement trade deal'

His reply? 'we are not going to do that as we believe an agreement on the settlement amount can be reached in parallel with starting trade deal negotiations'

Yes Dr Fox. But that is not the process David Davis has signed up to follow. Disengagement terms 'settled' before discussions on Re-engagement terms started. Did you not listen to what your boss signed up to?

I dunno...

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    no, No, NO. I am not at all happy. I am bleedin' furious that we seem to be heading for a huge settlement payment for which we will get NOTHING. But fishing rights - taking back control etc...
    Says the man with no idea what is likely to come out of the negotiations.

Go lie down in a dark room.

[QUOTE=Old Skier;1742551]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Without us even being allowed in the room.
    We knew the consequences of triggering Article 50 - we can have few (if any) complaints...

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Make your mind up. You keep telling us that it isn't a "huge settlement payment" it's simply us honouring spending commitments we've already agreed to. Are you saying that all of the things we will be paying for are a waste of money? Sounds like we'll be better off after Brexit when we no longer have to pay for all these waste of money projects.

Says the man with no idea what is likely to come out of the negotiations.

Go lie down in a dark room.
    We will get nothing out of our exit settlement - all we are doing is paying our dues. That said - for as long as we are still IN the EU I do not expect us to be paying anything else for continued membership - the exit settlement will cover that.

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    Make your mind up. You keep telling us that it isn't a "huge settlement payment" it's simply us honouring spending commitments we've already agreed to. Are you saying that all of the things we will be paying for are a waste of money? Sounds like we'll be better off after Brexit when we no longer have to pay for all these waste of money projects.
    It is a huge amount of money to have to pay out - especially if we just drop out in March 2019 with No Deal.

It's a settlement payment to cover our existing commitments.

All olf these waste of money projects...yup - these projects and funding from EU funds - where those affected are hoping and praying that the UK will continue to fund when we leave. I suggest that there are not that many projects of the sort you allude to, and that their funding amounts to a relatively small % of overall EU budget.

Job done