Page 725 of 755 FirstFirst ... 225625675715723724725726727735 ... LastLast
Results 7,241 to 7,250 of 7549

Thread: Article 50

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey7 View Post
    Germany's net contribition is 50% greater than the UK's, but I am sure you were giving a balanced view!!
    Afraid I don't follow what point you are making. Perhaps if Hobbit had stated "every other member", but he didn't.
    You have only listed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Very probably true. And if anyone who voted to leave did not foresee this then they are a bit naive IMHO.
    I'd go as far to say that if anyone believed the folk in Westminster would willingly deliver what the people wanted, in the event of a vote to exit, were being a tad deluded...

But hey ho, we all live in hope that they were capable of doing the right thing at least once in a lifetime...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Would anybody sanction giving the EU 100 billion Euro without knowing what you'll get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey7 View Post
    Germany's net contribition is 50% greater than the UK's, but I am sure you were giving a balanced view!!
    Perhaps you could point out from the 28 who joins Germany in nett contributions greater than the UK.

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Would anybody sanction giving the EU 100 billion Euro without knowing what you'll get in return.
    My understanding is that there's nothing directly in return for whatever we pay, it's our share of expenditure we are already committed to. Our negotiators at this stage need to make sure we fulfill our legitimate obligations and no more than that.

Only after that's finalised will the discussions on future trade and any fees that will be required be discussed. That's the money we'll be getting something in return for.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.4

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    My understanding is that there's nothing directly in return for whatever we pay, it's our share of expenditure we are already committed to. Our negotiators at this stage need to make sure we fulfill our legitimate obligations and no more than that.

Only after that's finalised will the discussions on future trade and any fees that will be required be discussed. That's the money we'll be getting something in return for.
    If that's true why are they giving 2 figures with a 40 billion euro difference. Our only commitment should be for pension requirements IMHO.

Money List Winner

If that's true why are they giving 2 figures with a 40 billion euro difference. Our only commitment should be for pension requirements IMHO.
    I'm no expert on this but I imagine there is a bit more to it than that. https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...u-divorce-bill
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

There is of course the view being expressed by at least one lead EU negotiator that what we are seeing at the moment is the UK playing Tory Party politics win the negotiations. So we have no clearly stated positions on solutions (as opposed to objectives which the position papers seem to basically state as being 'same as today except out of the EU').

So just taking the financial settlement. Barnier complains that he cannot be flexible in negotiations, as Davis wants, because now that Dave Davis has agreed that a settlement is appropriate he needs to know the UK offer to the settlement agreement. What we have at the moment is the UK going through the EU rationale behind calculating the payment line-by-line from a legal perspective - but with no UK offer being put on the table.

Why so? Well yes - UK keeping cards close to chest - but at some point in a negotiation you have to play a card.

But why would May instruct Davis to make an offer on any of the NI Border issue; the settlement issue; the EU27 Nationals in UK issue; and the Single Market issue - when doing so would on any of the aforementioned - never mind all -
    would make for furious arguments within the Tory Party and make for a chaotic Tory Party Conference next month - with May's Premiership hanging by a thread...?

And so I suspect we'll get nothing firm in respect of offers from the UK on the separation issues until after the Tory Party Conference.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 01-Sep-2017 at 09:26.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    I'd go as far to say that if anyone believed the folk in Westminster would willingly deliver what the people wanted, in the event of a vote to exit, were being a tad deluded...

But hey ho, we all live in hope that they were capable of doing the right thing at least once in a lifetime...
    I might suggest that many DID believe what they were told by Leave Leaning Westminster MPs and others, and then accordingly I might suggest that these Leave Voters were deluded, nope sorry - I cannot suggest that...

Pity the pound has tanked against the Euro so that 100Bn is now pretty much 100Bn Never mind - look at the boost the exchange rate has benefited UK exports - positive - balanced?