Page 710 of 835 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720760810 ... LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 8346

Thread: Article 50

Re: Article 50

Seems like nothing has really happened in months with something of a stand off followed by summer holidays. UK keeps saying things about trading arrangements which is be immediately shot down by EU who say they won't discuss trade until the three issues of -
    1. the leaving bill
    2. Ireland internal border
    3. What happens to EU nationals resident in UK

are resolved.

Going round in circles, no wonder there's repetition on here.
    Don't think we know any more than we did 6 months ago really.

Will this just result in an ugly stalemate for years? Feels that way.

Tour Winner

No stalemate as such as it is time constrained i.e. once the 2 years are up we're offski.
    Last edited by ger147; 22-Aug-2017 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by ger147 View Post
    No stalement as such as it is time constrained i.e. once the 2 years are up we're offski.
    Pretty optimisitic, come end March 2019 there will still be issues around EU people resident here, the Irish border and thousands of laws to repeal back to UK from EU, they dont get resolved by a passing date. A no deal situation doesn't resolve much else except trading arrangements, does it not?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Pretty optimisitic, come end March 2019 there will still be issues around EU people resident here, the Irish border and thousands of laws to repeal back to UK from EU, they dont get resolved by a passing date. A no deal situation doesn't resolve much else except trading arrangements, does it not?
    I wasn't suggesting everything would be resolved in time, I was pointing out that if it's not then we leave in 2019. Anything at that point is no longer a stalemate IMO, altho potentially still a big problem.

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Where have I said I have ignored your advice?? Come on, show me exactly where I posted that??
    maybe, the comments weren't aimed at you, now calm down and have a cup of tea
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

No stalemate as such as it is time constrained i.e. once the 2 years are up we're offski.
    That ain't necessarily so...

Anyway. Enjoying Dave Davis making out that by the UK negotiating team today presenting 5 position papers to the EU that that is putting pressure on the EU to do a deal. Is he forgetting that the EU have been complaining for months and months that the UK have NOT been giving the EU team anything to consider. In any case. The EU have made it clear that - as already pointed out - the small matters of the NI border; the disengagement financial settlement; and the status of residents have to be resolved before detailed discussions on re-engagement can commence.

At least the 7 position papers we will have now delivered gives the EU some idea of what we want, and these can inform and provide additional context to the disengagement discussions.

But as far as now putting the EU under pressure, I don't think so.

I will be interested to see whether today's 5 papers are state our requirements as being that much different from the EU status quo. I am also interested in this new 'ruling' body that UK is proposing that will take the place of the ECJ - whilst all accept that it will have to be 'slaved' to the ECJ. Is that what we voted for when we voted to 'take back control' I dunno...

And as this whole thing progresses and unfolds - my main concern arising from the agreements we reach with the EU - and on such as immigration - remains. That 5 yrs down the line we will have a very unhappy and unsatisfied Leave electorate - an electorate feeling poorer financially - but much worse than that - feeling that nothing has changed, that the queues and the waits are still there; the new higher paid jobs aren't; and there seem to be just as many immigrants as ever. And that, IMO, would not bode well for social stability and cohesion.

I pray that I am totally 100% wrong.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 22-Aug-2017 at 10:24.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    That ain't necessarily so...
    That's what happens if there is no deal.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

That's what happens if there is no deal.
    Statements from Dave Davis and other key Brexit supporters (especially statements in respect of a transition period) are starting to make clear that No Deal is just not a realistic option; that there has to be a deal; that there will be a deal.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

It seems you edited your reply after I posted.

Did you spot a typo???

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheFragger View Post
    maybe, the comments weren't aimed at you, now calm down and have a cup of tea
    No they are aimed at Me and Hogie. It seems that I cant challenge things I disagree with here without being cautioned. I agree I am getting involved with a cyclic argument that is not changing any ones views so it's best that I just leave others to the debate and sling my hook from this thread. Bye.
    Play it cool Trigger!