Page 797 of 801 FirstFirst ... 297697747787795796797798799 ... LastLast
Results 7,961 to 7,970 of 8007

Thread: Article 50

Tour Winner

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Yes..... I know many people in the UK feel like that.
    and..... Yes I think your previous post is inaccurate.......so is your second.......we presently have 800 unelected lords at the heart of UK legislation.

Howzat for double standards.
    How do you know how Chris and others feel about the HoL? If they are equally unhappy with having unelected Lords then they aren't displaying double standards at all.

Two wrongs don't make a right....

Lobby your MP about the HoL...start a Govt petition... if its that bad, get off your butt and do something.

We got a vote on Federalism....
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    How do you know how Chris and others feel about the HoL? If they are equally unhappy with having unelected Lords then they aren't displaying double standards at all.
    The main thing for me is that the Lords don't make the law of the land - they certainly are regulatory in the legal system but ultimately the majority of them are ex politicians and other experts (yes I'm aware that a fair few are just hereditary and they should be stopped) but there is a need for a second chamber and it does work surprisingly well in the main
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    The main thing for me is that the Lords don't make the law of the land - they certainly are regulatory in the legal system but ultimately the majority of them are ex politicians and other experts (yes I'm aware that a fair few are just hereditary and they should be stopped) but there is a need for a second chamber and it does work surprisingly well in the main
    Perhaps a significant point is that the Lords can only return a Bill for reconsideration and amendment. If the Commons decides its, ultimately, going through it will go through. The EU doesn't operate like that, as we've seen in the last week with an advisory vote by the MEP's to block progress in the Brexit talks. The Commission can ignore it.
    Give it big humpties

Tour Winner

Agree on hereditary peers and the need for a second chamber. But at the minute it's a jobs for the boys (and girls) type set up where it's who you know rather than what you know that gets you the position. Each PM from all parties just promotes people who are basically their mates to the HoL. I would far prefer and elected HoL and see no reason why we can't have a vote on that at the same time as a general election.

Agree on hereditary peers and the need for a second chamber. But at the minute it's a jobs for the boys (and girls) type set up where it's who you know rather than what you know that gets you the position. Each PM from all parties just promotes people who are basically their mates to the HoL. I would far prefer and elected HoL and see no reason why we can't have a vote on that at the same time as a general election.
    Bearing in mind how successful(not) the LibDems have been for many years, why are there a majority of LibDems in the Lords if there hasn't been a LibDem PM since forever?

And yes, an elected second chamber could be a very good thing.
    Give it big humpties

I absolutely agree with it being an elected chamber and best that it's not overly an ex politicians club, which might make voting for representatives more difficult as the candidates might not be well enoůgh known to the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Perhaps a significant point is that the Lords can only return a Bill for reconsideration and amendment. If the Commons decides its, ultimately, going through it will go through. The EU doesn't operate like that, as we've seen in the last week with an advisory vote by the MEP's to block progress in the Brexit talks. The Commission can ignore it.
    My understanding is that they can return it twice and that the Government can pass the legislation if it's returned on the 3rd occasion without their consent and the EU, as you say, are above the accountability to everyone else. So, I'm saying that elected representatives Do actually make the laws of the land here
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

I would far prefer and elected HoL and see no reason why we can't have a vote on that at the same time as a general election.
    What happens if we're not happy with the results of the vote?

Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    What happens if we're not happy with the results of the vote?

Depending on which side of it you are then you either "get over it you lost" or demand another vote to try to get the "right" result.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    You may think my post is inaccurate but i can assure you that it represents how many many people feel about the running of the EU from the early days.
    I'm sure it is how many people feel. I feel Jorg Albertz is the greatest player ever to take to a football field, peas are inherently evil and that Elvis is alive and well living in a trailer park in Tucson, Arizona.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!