Page 899 of 905 FirstFirst ... 399799849889897898899900901 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 9047

Thread: Article 50

Re: Article 50

Quote Originally Posted by drdel View Post
    I tend to agree with you.
    Even the reporting on Farage's comment were made with the twist the he'd calledfor a second vote when, my understanding was, he'd suggested that it might take a second referendum to put the argument to bed in the face of all the whittering.

We need to stop 'looking in the rear view mirror' and get on with driving forward and forming our own future. You can see why the Aussies call us "whinging poms"
    I'm glad you picked up on the Farage comments, we were discussing that this morning in the office. But as with so many brexit stories.....why let the facts get in the way of their agenda.

I tend to agree with you.
    Even the reporting on Farage's comment were made with the twist the he'd calledfor a second vote when, my understanding was, he'd suggested that it might take a second referendum to put the argument to bed in the face of all the whittering.

We need to stop 'looking in the rear view mirror' and get on with driving forward and forming our own future. You can see why the Aussies call us "whinging poms"
    I bought 160 euros Wednesday, cost me £155. The rearviewmirror looks quite good to be honest.

To be fair to Farage at least he is now consistent with his pre-Brexit statement that a 52-48 result would be unfinished business.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Our Nigel has indicated we may be in for another vote on all this. This is all down to May pussy footing about. We should be out by now and flicking the V's at them. And don't start me on the major of london (lower case deliberately). "My community" indeed.
    Farage started off the day saying he wanted another Referendum to shut up the whinging, whining, moaning Remainers once and forever - for a generation. By 7pm and his LBC radio show he was rowing back - stating his position was that Leavers should prepare for another referendum as he was convinced from his meeting with Barnier on Monday that UK would not get a good deal with the EU and a referendum was inevitable and he would be up for one. The negativity from Leave supporters calling in on that position was still significant - though clearly a lot less than his original position positively favouring one.

And calls to Nick Ferrari this morning were equally negative on Farage and complaining about his feedback on the EU only offering us a rubbish deal; indeed one caller complained that we should be able to get the same terms for leaving the EU as Canada got (yes - honestly); another Leave caller complained that the under 24s vote would mobilised en masse and that could result in a majority to Remain. Yes - a UK 'taking back control democrat' didn't want a further referendum because the youth of the country would vote Remain. Oh dear.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Jan-2018 at 12:48.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    The UK are already being excluded from tendering for work...that is a fact. Where projects extended beyond the Brexit date, even though they start before then, they are excluded. Bizarrely, a non-EU country can bid.... discrimination? Punishment?
    Do these non-EU countries have trade, business and other economic agreements in place with the EU that enables them to bid. At the moment the UK is threatening to become a No Deal 3rd Country.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many...s-has-eu-done/
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Jan-2018 at 12:50.

Job done

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Farage started off the day saying he wanted another Referendum to shut up the whinging, whining, moaning Remainers once and forever - for a generation. By 7pm and his LBC radio show he was rowing back - stating his position was that Leavers should prepare for another referendum as he was convinced from his meeting with Barnier on Monday that UK would not get a good deal with the EU and a referendum was inevitable and he would be up for one. The negativity from Leave supporters calling in on that position was still significant - though clearly a lot less than his original position positively favouring one.

And calls to Nick Ferrari this morning were equally negative on Farage and complaining about his feedback on the EU only offering us a rubbish deal; indeed one caller complained that we should be able to get the same terms for leaving the EU as Canada got (yes - honestly); another Leave caller complained that the under 24s vote would mobilised en masse and that could result in a majority to Remain. Yes - a UK 'taking back control democrat' didn't want a further referendum because the youth of the country would vote Remain. Oh dear.
    C'mon did you really think Juncker and Barnier would say anything else to Farage. Did you think they would spell their position and give him a juicy positive sound bite when he's been poking them with a sharp stick ever since he became an MEP.

C'mon did you really think Juncker and Barnier would say anything else to Farage. Did you think they would spell their position and give him a juicy positive sound bite when he's been poking them with a sharp stick ever since he became an MEP.
    I don't actually believe very much that Farage says - especially his understanding, interpretation and conveying of conversations with such as Barnier when there is no recorded record. However - that he comes away from a conversation with Barnier telling us that his impression is that the EU will not give the UK a good deal is no surprise - well to some us us anyway.

The EU has it's own interests to look after, and the chances have always been that these and those of the UK are not fully aligned and consistent - despite all we have been told about how much the EU depends upon us - how our purchasing of German cars, French wine etc will mean that EU must give us a good deal. But no. Seems like they don't take that line and we just won't get a deal anything like as good as what we get today with being in - no malaka.

Farage has either bought hook, line and sinker the EU negotiating line and fallen right into their trap and is acting as a de facto EU spokeperson spreading their propaganda. Either that or - given his great and extensive experience of Barnier, Juncker et al - he has twigged the truth of it, that the EU don't need the UK as much as we might like to think they do; that a good deal with the UK is not top of the EU list of priorities for our exit.
    Last edited by brendy; 12-Jan-2018 at 14:42.

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    The EU has it's own interests to look after, and the chances have always been that these and those of the UK are not fully aligned and consistent - despite all we have been told about how much the EU depends upon us - how our purchasing of German cars, French wine etc will mean that EU must give us a good deal. But no. Seems like they don't take that line and we just won't get a deal anything like as good as what we get today with being in - no malaka.
    It seems as though a hard Brexit would affect the German car manufacturers quite badly. Up to 14000 job losses and 3.8 billion Euro fall in sales. And that's just one business sector in one EU country. I imagine across all of the EU27 and all business sectors they could be facing massive losses in terms of revenue and sales.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ge...-idUKKBN1F0138

https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog...o-deal-brexit/

It will be interesting to see when or if during the trade talks self-interest starts to take over within individual countries as they look to protect their own business interests over a unified approach. Obviously a 10% drop in the value of sterling would affect UK citizens and with tariffs on top of that the cost of imports will inevitably go up and less units will be sold. Interesting times ahead, especially if May and Davies stick to their guns for long enough to allow self interest of EU countries to come to the surface.

Ryder Cup Winner

Watching QT last night my missus said.
    It's a sad state of affairs when the comedians on QT come over as a lot more sensible and intelligent than the politicians.
    What an idiot of a man that ex Mirror editor is [forgot his name]

The London audience did not seem to be embracing Brexit.

QT at Dumfries in two weeks.
    That should be a fun watch as all the tickets are probably already allocated to bussed in 'orange man' and his buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Watching QT last night my missus said.
    It's a sad state of affairs when the comedians on QT come over as a lot more sensible and intelligent than the politicians.
    What an idiot of a man that ex Mirror editor is [forgot his name]

The London audience did not seem to be embracing Brexit.

QT at Dumfries in two weeks.
    That should be a fun watch as all the tickets are probably already allocated to bussed in 'orange man' and his buddies.
    It was Piers Morgan

Job done