Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is It Time To Ban The Isle of Man TT Races?

Sad to see 2 more riders were killed yesterday during the TT races.

This bring this years death toll to 5, The headlines this morning are full of videos and pictures if mindless moron's fighting in France over a sport, a horse dies in the Grand National and Animal Rights are up in arms, a F1 driver dies and it's world headlines, yet we allow Motorcyclists to be killed on the roads of The Isle of Man every year under the same banner of sport.
    I love the TT Races and watch it every year, but sadly I now think it's got to the point were something drastic has to be done.
    A very sad and avoidable waste of lives.
    Driver, Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 - 3 & 5 Wood, Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 & 17 - Callaway Rogue Hybrid 21, 24 & 27, Mizuno MP18-SC 6-W, Mizuno S18 Wedges 51 & 56, - EDEL E-1, Handicap 10

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Isle of Man TT Races?

Road racing is very dangerous it is not just the TT that they die in, are you calling for a total ban on road races.

Billy Redmayne who looked to be a future TT star died in Morecambe but it is what they love doing and they know the risks.

Snelly

What a load of cobblers.

A sad and avoidable waste of life? You make it sound like the conscripted masses being asked to go over the top in the WW1 trenches.

Everyone in the races would give anything to be there, fully understanding the risks involved.

Definitely should be banned. There's no way the organisers can make the circuit safe on a par with the likes of Donnington and Silverstone. They can't even get the medics to crash sites in a reasonable time.

Plenty of the top riders, i.e. experts, won't race there.

Maybe it had a place in the sport when bikes were a lot slower but that was a long, long time ago.
    Give it big humpties

Paul, I don't get it but people I know who are into bikes treat it like a trip to Mecca. Seems madness to four wheel people like myself.

Once again we get the same ignorant responses from some people, if you read what I posted I stated I enjoy it, I totally understand the risks, I am talking about 1 event, simply asked the question is it time to take drastic action. Any death in a SPORT whilst completely understanding the risks is sad and avoidable.
    Some people should answer the post rather than the poster, linking it to WW1 is ridiculous

Agree Martin, I have mates that go every year and they are quite certain that some of the deaths are down to the quality of the rider.

Presumably it is regulated? You would have thought the governing body would have been held to account for the numerous deaths over the years. When F1 has a tragedy there is an inquest and changes happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Once again we get the same ignorant responses from some people, if you read what I posted I stated I enjoy it, I totally understand the risks, I am talking about 1 event, simply asked the question is it time to take drastic action. Any death in a SPORT whilst completely understanding the risks is sad and avoidable.
    Some people should answer the post rather than the poster, linking it to WW1 is ridiculous

Agree Martin, I have mates that go every year and they are quite certain that some of the deaths are down to the quality of the rider.
    I live in the Isle of Man and have been around and talked with he fans who come over every year, I have watched the races more times than I can remember so please don't make out I do not know what I am talking about.

You cannot ban something just because it is dangerous.

Snelly

Very noble, but who are you to say something should be banned? What else is on your list that millions enjoy but you feel should be outlawed?

Money List Winner

Sad to see 2 more riders were killed yesterday during the TT races.

This bring this years death toll to 5, The headlines this morning are full of videos and pictures if mindless moron's fighting in France over a sport, a horse dies in the Grand National and Animal Rights are up in arms, a F1 driver dies and it's world headlines, yet we allow Motorcyclists to be killed on the roads of The Isle of Man every year under the same banner of sport.
    I love the TT Races and watch it every year, but sadly I now think it's got to the point were something drastic has to be done.
    A very sad and avoidable waste of lives.
    With all due respect paul, WE don't allow motorcyclists to be killed every year on the Isle of Man, they choose to participate themselves, they are as closely monitored and aided as is possible and they all know the risks, but they consider it the Holy Grail of motorcycling and the purest form of racing. Who are we to deny them that choice; and where do we stop?

if you want to talk about a sad and avoidable waste of life, lets start raising the standard of driving in the UK so that the ordinary, average motorcyclist is safer; in 2013 (probably the most recent year for which statistics are available), 331 motorcyclists were killed and 4,866 seriously injured, the majority of which will be involved in accidents involving cars who didn't see them (or couldn't be bothered to look).

Out of interest Paul, do you ride a motorbike?