Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

Is a method of influencing brain behaviour (the "neuro" part of the phrase) through the use of language (the "linguistic" part) and other types of communication to enable a person to "recode" the way the brain responds to stimuli (that's the "programming") and manifest new and better behaviours. Neuro-Linguistic Programming often incorporates hypnosis and self-hypnosis to help achieve the change (or "programming") that is wanted

I would be looking for a new pro. sounds like he wanted the night off.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Is a method of influencing brain behaviour (the "neuro" part of the phrase) through the use of language (the "linguistic" part) and other types of communication to enable a person to "recode" the way the brain responds to stimuli (that's the "programming") and manifest new and better behaviours. Neuro-Linguistic Programming often incorporates hypnosis and self-hypnosis to help achieve the change (or "programming") that is wanted
    Nice explanation. Fancy words for what we do instinctively as children, when we get older we forget how much information we assimilated, how much control of our functions we gained (well, some of us, you should see me on a night out). We can reprogramme, but it isn't as easy as when we were younger because we've ingrained so many responses to so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Does this "Zen Golf" book a few have recommended come from the same stable?
    Hi Homer, I guess there's an element of it but Parent goes a bit deeper. At least he hasn't given it this name, but many principles are the same.

Your coach slowed you down. A great tip I heard last year was to swing with your mouth open. When you hit something you naturally clench your jaw. Keeping your mouth open allows for a smoother swing. After a while you don't have to actually have your mouth open (who wants that on the first tee?!) but just have your jaw relaxed.

Different paths to the same goal, a slower, smoother swing, which is always going to be better than a quick "hitty" one, particularly off the tee.

Zen Golf is more about how we see ourselves, and how we perceive others to see us, and realising that it really isn't life and death, because laugh as we might that's how it can feel at times out there. Parent gives nice practical advice and anecdotes about achieving presence of mind. Not necessarily what people might think is "Zen-like" calm, just clarity of thought. It's amazing what we can do when we get out of our own way, think clearly and execute the shot with 100% commitment. Is it always going to go perfectly? Of course not, not even the greats can do that. But we have a much better chance of success that way and if it doesn't go right, feel much calmer and in perspective about what has just happened, and what happens next.
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10

Pretty sure Westwood did a video for golf monthly about holding a tee in his teeth so he doesn't bite down on them if he tenses up.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Pretty sure Westwood did a video for golf monthly about holding a tee in his teeth so he doesn't bite down on them if he tenses up.
    Fancy school - NLP

School for idiots - mouth open, catching flies

Worksop school - jam a tee in his gob

Sound advice however you come by it
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    I would be looking for a new pro. sounds like he wanted the night off.
    Not at all. Fifty minutes instead of the booked thirty, and he came back for a ten minute refresh after the lesson after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Curls View Post
    Nice explanation. Fancy words for what we do instinctively as children, when we get older we forget how much information we assimilated, how much control of our functions we gained (well, some of us, you should see me on a night out). We can reprogramme, but it isn't as easy as when we were younger because we've ingrained so many responses to so many things.

Hi Homer, I guess there's an element of it but Parent goes a bit deeper. At least he hasn't given it this name, but many principles are the same.

Your coach slowed you down. A great tip I heard last year was to swing with your mouth open. When you hit something you naturally clench your jaw. Keeping your mouth open allows for a smoother swing. After a while you don't have to actually have your mouth open (who wants that on the first tee?!) but just have your jaw relaxed.

Different paths to the same goal, a slower, smoother swing, which is always going to be better than a quick "hitty" one, particularly off the tee.

Zen Golf is more about how we see ourselves, and how we perceive others to see us, and realising that it really isn't life and death, because laugh as we might that's how it can feel at times out there. Parent gives nice practical advice and anecdotes about achieving presence of mind. Not necessarily what people might think is "Zen-like" calm, just clarity of thought. It's amazing what we can do when we get out of our own way, think clearly and execute the shot with 100% commitment. Is it always going to go perfectly? Of course not, not even the greats can do that. But we have a much better chance of success that way and if it doesn't go right, feel much calmer and in perspective about what has just happened, and what happens next.
    Good old Google😃

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Not at all. Fifty minutes instead of the booked thirty, and he came back for a ten minute refresh after the lesson after me.
    Did he make a phone call at the end of the lesson to his wife, telling her he sorted his pension problems ?
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    Did he make a phone call at the end of the lesson to his wife, telling her he sorted his pension problems ?
    The Bentley and holiday home is on order

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    The Bentley and holiday home is on order
    I might criticise many things but I rarely if ever mock your golf. A little courtesy in return is in order.