Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Medal Winner

Re: I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

I live down the road and looking for my first club probably next season. The Nevill is definitely the front runner in that regard.

I "like" all the local clubs' Facebook pages and am always entering comps (for everything, not just golf stuff like this) so the win was nice. So I suppose to answer your question, yes. But hopefully not entirely!

Re the lesson & pro, you're totally right - everything he said clicked. Now just to get back out on the range and see if it still works!

I had a great lesson on Tuesday. It was satisfying to see that the backswing I have been working on is now almost natural with very few of my old faults creeping in.

From the new position I am now able to implement and understand what we have previously discussed about the release, it'll take time to hone but I know feel like I can do it where before it felt impossible.

Club champs on Sunday, what could possibly go wrong
    "Golf is a game where you have to understand yourself. You have to understand what your abilities are and you have to play within your own abilities. And if you get outside of that, that's when you get beat" - Jack Nicklaus

Handicap: 8.5

www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Had a lesson on Wednesday. Nothing to drastic other than tweaking set up and making sure I complete the back swing properly. Sunningdale came too soon with no chance to work on the changes properly before playing but some good swings in there especially hitting the 18th on the Old to ten feet. I need to check posture and alignment more often as it's too slouched and shoulders are open. If the job prospects don't pan out, plenty of time coming to work on it

Had a lesson yesterday, and it was the first time I have even used trackman. What a great piece of kit that is. Really interesting to see all the numbers and how if changing/achieving certain numbers can alter your potential on shots. Biggest thing was that I had an average 0 path and face was 0.4 closed to the path, which accounts for the slight shape I get on my shots. Also confirms to me that my swing is good enough to play this game I just need to work on the short game to get my handicap down.

On to the actual lesson, pro is happy with where things are and we are just trying to tidy things up a bit to get some more consistency in there. Main focus is keeping the left are straighter on the back swing, which will shorten the swing a touch and has me going back on a better plane and coming down on a better plane too. In with this is creating a bit more width in the takeaway, and making sure that the face is not closed in this section.

Also need to focus on rotating hips more on the downswing to help square the face better. Most of my bad shots come from having to flip at the ball and this should help fix that along with maintaining my height coming through. I tend to have a bit of a dip which is losing me space and I then struggle to get good contact.

Not a lot to work on, just small tweaks here and there. Was swinging good this weekend after a good result in the Open on Saturday, so was the best time to get a lesson. I stayed for an hour after to work on the changes and also to work on some pitches with wedges, which is where I really need to improve.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

Handicap - 18.7

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

I’ve been feeling down about my golf for a while. I watched a lot of youtube videos, filmed my swing and was all over the place. I knew my swing was good sometimes but awful most of the time plus too many swing throughts were crippling my game. I was going backwards rather than forwards. It wasn’t from lack of practice.

So I have unsubscribed from all the youtube videos and then booked my first proper lesson earlier in the week. All I can say is WOW!

There’s quite a lot that I was doing wrong – weight on the heels, chicken wing, club going outside the line on the downswing etc. Pro gave me some good drills and things to think about and I have never hit the ball better in a range session. I now have specific areas to focus on and improve and feel like I know how to become a better golfer. My confidence has sky rocketed.
    Hacking it around the midlands :S

Quote Originally Posted by YamiKuriboh View Post
    I’ve been feeling down about my golf for a while. I watched a lot of youtube videos, filmed my swing and was all over the place. I knew my swing was good sometimes but awful most of the time plus too many swing throughts were crippling my game. I was going backwards rather than forwards. It wasn’t from lack of practice.

So I have unsubscribed from all the youtube videos and then booked my first proper lesson earlier in the week. All I can say is WOW!

There’s quite a lot that I was doing wrong – weight on the heels, chicken wing, club going outside the line on the downswing etc. Pro gave me some good drills and things to think about and I have never hit the ball better in a range session. I now have specific areas to focus on and improve and feel like I know how to become a better golfer. My confidence has sky rocketed.
    If it's any consolation, watch the two youtube videos I put up on my channel from the lesson with Paul Foston. I totally understood what he wanted me to be doing but on the day couldn't get near it. Too many thoughts, too many ideas and poor club control. Was enthused by seeing what he wanted me to do and when I did it how good it was, how few moving parts there were, and what a different swing it was. Then hurt my back

I have specific things to work on to start, with a better takeaway, not one outside the line and disconnected, making a short swing with flat wrist all of the time. These are massive for me but I know I can't move forward to the next phase until I get these sorted. Had a very small go at hitting balls at the weekend as the back still bad, but WOW, when it clicks it's like a golfer reborn. I am due to play on Saturday, back permitting and have to say even if it goes horribly on the course, I've not looked forward to a game in ages.

Like you my confidence has gone up and up and I'm totally enthused. The Homer mojo is bubbling away and a glass not just half full but running over. I know I have a very long way to go over the winter but so glad to be hitting a few balls again, and more so to see what I could be capable of after a winter of hard graft and assistance from Paul.

Stick with what you've been shown. Be prepared to go backwards to then go forward again and keep working hard. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Like you my confidence has gone up and up and I'm totally enthused. The Homer mojo is bubbling away and a glass not just half full but running over. I know I have a very long way to go over the winter but so glad to be hitting a few balls again, and more so to see what I could be capable of after a winter of hard graft and assistance from Paul.
    Thanks Homer. This confidence thing is the big positive I got out of a lesson. I had been filming my swing and then watching youtube videos to try and correct things that may/may not have been right. The problem is - i'm not good enough to correct my own flaws! Having someone experienced look at my swing, tell me to do something, me do it and hit the ball 100 times better as a result was awesome. I strongly recommend getting a lesson for anyone who may be struggling.
    Hacking it around the midlands :S