Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Re: I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Never you mate, take no responsibility for the others trying to help.

What is it you’ve said in the past? Oh yes, it’s a forum anyone can post what they like.
    And stand by that (subject to forum rules naturally). It's very simple and clearly your looking to stir this into more than it is, so last reply:

I am not planning to stop what Paul Foston showed me regarding the shorter swing, wrist position etc UNLESS another pro like Bob could give me a sound argument as to why that wouldn't be the way forward

I have no plans to use other pros and was merely using the forum and Bob's expertise as a sounding board as he posted the original "I wouldn't worry about the backswing" reply

As much as I appreciate the interest others have shown and their input, I was polite in declining their views on here and have explained before that even though many are far more competent golfers than I'll ever be, I want to stick with this plan to utilise the opportunity GM and Paul Foston gave me, and work on what I was shown bit by bit

You are obviously looking to provoke responses and I've made it crystal clear on how I see things over the winter and what I need to do, what needs work on and what my goals are. I've said enough so you and everyone else are more than welcome to pick holes in this, and say what you like. It's a forum and your prerogative to do so. As long as it doesn't become personal and insulting then crack on. Just don't expect me to come back and justify my thoughts and opinions further

Assistant Pro

Homer, does your keyboard not have a full stop on it

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    And stand by that (subject to forum rules naturally). It's very simple and clearly your looking to stir this into more than it is, so last reply:

I am not planning to stop what Paul Foston showed me regarding the shorter swing, wrist position etc UNLESS another pro like Bob could give me a sound argument as to why that wouldn't be the way forward

I have no plans to use other pros and was merely using the forum and Bob's expertise as a sounding board as he posted the original "I wouldn't worry about the backswing" reply

As much as I appreciate the interest others have shown and their input, I was polite in declining their views on here and have explained before that even though many are far more competent golfers than I'll ever be, I want to stick with this plan to utilise the opportunity GM and Paul Foston gave me, and work on what I was shown bit by bit

You are obviously looking to provoke responses and I've made it crystal clear on how I see things over the winter and what I need to do, what needs work on and what my goals are. I've said enough so you and everyone else are more than welcome to pick holes in this, and say what you like. It's a forum and your prerogative to do so. As long as it doesn't become personal and insulting then crack on. Just don't expect me to come back and justify my thoughts and opinions further
    Me, Me, Me.....

You totally missed the point, you asking bob publicly has led to other posters trying to help and obviously wasting their time and then bob has to justify his posts to others.

You are causing this, I’m not trying to provoke or wind you up, simply trying to get you to realise that your actions have repercussions for others, maybe, just maybe on some occassions you could use the private message function and avoid other posters stepping in.

Challenge Tour Pro

Issue - topping the ball with driver/3 wood off the tee.

So I went to my local pro and explained the problem. Showed him on the driving range and all was well, as per normal. went to the first tee, topped it 3 times. So we filmed the swing. set up back swing and transition good but what it highlighted was I was bending my arms ever so slightly at impact so therefore raising the club up by a few centimeters. film clearly showed club hitting ball above the halfway point/not fully extending my arms at impact.

So a new drill in place courtesy of Pete Cowen technique and a new pre shot routine. Hopefully it will sort out the problem.
    2017 Handicap. Jan - 25.1. April - 19.8. May - 20.0. July - 19.7. “Golf is about how well you accept, respond to, and score with your misses much more than it is a game of your perfect shots.” Dr Bob Rotella “Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” Sam Snead"I know where I am and I know which way I am going. Only winning will satisfy me. You don't think it is possible? It is very possible!" Seve

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post

Problem now is a seed has been planted whereas before you were 100% sure of the way forward

I think you may need an offline chat with Bob who we all obviously have a lot of respect for

One of the problems with posting your swings etc online is getting unwelcomed advice, however well meaning some of it is

Also bear in mind if you were to see 10 coaches you may get a lot of differing views

You need to be 100% focused and clear in your mind what you are working on so that by March you can swing on the course with a clear head and with confidence

Without wishing to offend, having a clear head seems to be maybe the main issue as I've seen far worse players technically play a lot lower than you

Be careful who you take advice from

Good luck 👍

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post

You need to get it out of your head that you are a 30year chronic over swinger. this swing got you to the cusp of singles. Put up a video of that swing vs where you are now and look at the difference.
    Now that looks a lot better swing and I would think that's exactly what his coach is trying to get him to do, bit perplexed as to why he thinks he won't be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    Now that looks a lot better swing and I would think that's exactly what his coach is trying to get him to do, bit perplexed as to why he thinks he won't be able to do this.
    perplexed? you and me both buddy.

Homer what is your thoughts on this? can you see the better take away in this and also a much shorter swing. The tempo also looks fantastic too.

If you had of swung like this in front of Paul Foston, I am sure he would have kissed you.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Just to break the current chat - I actually had a lesson today - first for a long time.

Indoors away from the terrible heavy rain we had here today.

Got back into one of my usual bad habits of weight onto toes going back and adjustment coming back through.

Also probably due to the thumb injury which has been a problem for much of the summer (95% ok now) I had clearly adjusted my swing to put less pressure on it which took it out of synch.

All affecting quality and consistency of strike - will practice a few things for a couple of weeks, have a chat with pro and see about a follow up after that.

I will avoid sharing the horror story film evidence online !

Had a lesson on Tuesday, been working on bumping the hips to the left and head going back as right elbow also comes in to the side
    Where I play
    https://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/

2015 Handicap 17.9 - 16.0
    2016 Handicap 16.1 - 18.0

WITB

Taylormade Rocketballz stage 2 driver.
    3 - pw Titleist 714 - AP 1s
    48,52,58 Vokeys.
    Daddy Long Legs putter.

Really good lesson on Monday. After about a year of work with my current coach things seem to have finally fallen into place.

All year we've been working on my position at the top of the back swing and the club path into impact. Each lesson make a change to one or the other to gradually get my swing path nice and neutral.

Monday we finally shifted the top of my backswing into position and from there I can now basically turn as hard as I want and the club drops into the perfect path. But the key is I really need to commit to the shot. The great thing is all I need to focus on is a nice slow takeaway, set the club at the top and then just hit it.

It felt great and I don't have all these thoughts rattling round inside my head on every swing. Do this, transfer weight, swing this way, keep this back and shift that forward etc etc. Now everything is where it should be it seems simple. Take it back and turn through.

First time in years that my swing feels normal and not forced.

Need to see if I can take it to the course this weekend though.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk