Page 222 of 234 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2335
    Money List Winner

Re: Trump - What the Hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    So it seems that Trump has pledged $1 million of his own money towards the Texas Fund. I wonder how the Trump haters are going to turn that into a bad thing.
    Price of everything, value of nothing.... if in doubt then just throw some money at it to try and seem like you are vaguely presidential. And in the grand scheme of his fortune it is like me or you donating a tenner.

Yes as a singular gesture it is good, any money to help is a good thing. But he'll probably recoup it quickly in sales of those stupid baseball caps he sells for 40 dollars each on his web site which he insists on wearing when touring areas of devastation. Plus the billions he wants to spend on a wall could do a lot more good.
    Last edited by Hacker Khan; 01-Sep-2017 at 07:16.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Money List Winner

So in your view a donation to charity is more worthy because it's done privately rather than publicly? Or does it not matter? At the end of the day a £1 million donation to a charity does the same amount of good whether we know about it or not.
    For the person/cause that receives it then yes. For the person making the donation then there may be many reason why they wish to make it known that they are donating. Some good, some you could argue less edifying.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

A good gesture for sure, if true.

Problem is he's a habitual liar with a track record of exaggerating his charitable giving.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.4

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

So in your view a donation to charity is more worthy because it's done privately rather than publicly? Or does it not matter? At the end of the day a £1 million donation to a charity does the same amount of good whether we know about it or not.
    Yes - in general - I do think that - that good works - especially financial donations - are best done and known between the individual and the recipient(s).

It is clearly good that figures in the public eye are seen to support causes - that generally helps and encourages others.

Paul McCartney was a prominent lead in the campaign to save Rye Community hospital - he lived and still lives locally. But at the outset only a very few knew of the size of the donation that he made. This was done when it became clear that the fundraising was going to fall a bit short of the target as the deadline approached - so PMcC took out his chequebook and made up the shortfall. But no big fanfare - look-at-me - from McCartney over it. He didn't do it for himself - he did it for the community. And the locals 'love' him for it.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

However does it at the higher level get a big tax insentive be it Macca or Trump. Whoever donates, hopefully some good comes from it.

Seems that the normal candidates showing their prejudices. Very unchristian

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    However does it at the higher level get a big tax insentive be it Macca or Trump. Whoever donates, hopefully some good comes from it.

Seems that the normal candidates showing their prejudices. Very unchristian
    Since you mention it - the Christian thing to do (Matthew 6)

On Giving
    When you do good deeds, don’t try to show off. If you do, you won’t get a reward from your Father in heaven.

When you give to the poor, don’t blow a loud horn. That’s what show-offs do in the meeting places and on the street corners, because they are always looking for praise. I can assure you that they already have their reward.

When you give to the poor, don’t let anyone know about it. Then your gift will be given in secret. Your Father knows what is done in secret, and he will reward you.

Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Teach us, good Lord,
    to serve you as you deserve,
    to give and not to count the cost,
    to fight and not to heed the wounds,
    to toil and not to seek for rest,
    to labour and not to ask for any reward,
    save that of knowing that we do your will.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 01-Sep-2017 at 16:24.

Job done

I doubt Trumps cares about his father, it's all about the vote.

I doubt Trumps cares about his father, it's all about the vote.
    You said my view was unchristian. Given what I have posted do you think my view is still unchristian

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    You said my view was unchristian. Given what I have posted do you think my view is still unchristian
    Yep.

Yep.
    What bits of the following are not clear to you and so make you struggle to understand what I think about Trump's donation

When you do good deeds, don’t try to show off. If you do, you won’t get a reward from your Father in heaven.

When you give to the poor, don’t blow a loud horn. That’s what show-offs do in the meeting places and on the street corners, because they are always looking for praise.

Maybe it's easier to understand in the King James Authorised Version - it's certainly lovelier language

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men.

Job done