Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80
  1. #71
    Challenge Tour Pro HDID Kenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bonnybridge
    Posts
    690

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey7 View Post
    From rhe rules of golf definitions "A ball is "in play" as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground". It only becomes out of play when it lies out of bounds, so he has put a ball in play.
    It doesn't say you can only choose players drive if it is in play, you are choosing his drive, the fact it finishes OOB dictates the next action which is everyone playing the 3rd shot from the teeing area.
    Taylormade M2 Driver
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood
    Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP1 716 5-W Irons
    Cleveland 54o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Cleveland 56o 588 RTX 2.0 Sand Iron
    Cleveland 58o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Scotty Studio Fastback 1.0 Putter

    Titleist Pro V1

    Member of-
    http://www.glenberviegolfclub.com

    Handicap 19

  2. #72
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    431

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by HDID Kenny View Post
    It doesn't say you can only choose players drive if it is in play, you are choosing his drive, the fact it finishes OOB dictates the next action which is everyone playing the 3rd shot from the teeing area.
    I agree

  3. #73
    Money List Winner williamalex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    uddingston
    Posts
    7,381

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by HDID Kenny View Post
    It doesn't say you can only choose players drive if it is in play, you are choosing his drive, the fact it finishes OOB dictates the next action which is everyone playing the 3rd shot from the teeing area.
    I thought the player who's drive was selected, had to play the next stroke with his ball.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

  4. #74
    Challenge Tour Pro HDID Kenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bonnybridge
    Posts
    690

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by williamalex1 View Post
    I thought the player who's drive was selected, had to play the next stroke with his ball.
    Not under penalty,, if player hits it into a water hazard and is unable to retrieve the ball, he would drop a new ball under penalty.
    Taylormade M2 Driver
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood
    Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP1 716 5-W Irons
    Cleveland 54o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Cleveland 56o 588 RTX 2.0 Sand Iron
    Cleveland 58o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Scotty Studio Fastback 1.0 Putter

    Titleist Pro V1

    Member of-
    http://www.glenberviegolfclub.com

    Handicap 19

  5. #75
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,306

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by HDID Kenny View Post
    It doesn't say you can only choose players drive if it is in play, you are choosing his drive, the fact it finishes OOB dictates the next action which is everyone playing the 3rd shot from the teeing area.
    Totally correct

    (Not withstanding total agreement that organising committees should publish clear guidelines for any specific scramble rules in force - same for grensomes and derivatives)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

    10.8 and moving the right way again...

  6. #76
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,083

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by GreggerKBR View Post
    I confess I did once ask a chap to putt his ball up the teeing ground on a par 3, many years ago.
    So that he didn't knock it into knee deep rough or worse!
    Would suggesting a deliberate air shot have been a better option? If Player A sticks it OOB or into a bush you would all have been playing 3 either off the tee or from a drop from the bush. With an air shot you could have played 2 from the tee (could all players have teed it up for their shots?). I'm not suggesting that this is ethical or within the rules of golf but would it have been a better suggestion?

  7. #77
    Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,893

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    Would suggesting a deliberate air shot have been a better option? If Player A sticks it OOB or into a bush you would all have been playing 3 either off the tee or from a drop from the bush. With an air shot you could have played 2 from the tee (could all players have teed it up for their shots?). I'm not suggesting that this is ethical or within the rules of golf but would it have been a better suggestion?
    Interesting point that. As we know, a ball is in play when you make a stroke at it and with an air shot you are usually making a stroke at the ball and it is not a deliberate miss. However, if you do a deliberate air shot you are probably not making a stroke at the ball so it is not in play. Is that a correct assumption?
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

  8. #78
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,761

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    A deliberate air shot cannot be a stroke as there was no intention of striking the ball.

  9. #79
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,745

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Yes.

    There is (or was) a decision somewhere that related to a Foursome where a lady couldn't clear a problem area with her tee shot, so she deliberately missed the ball so the her male partner could have a nice lie for him to hit it clear.
    I think the penalty was DQ under 33-7.

  10. #80
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,745

    Re: Texas Scramble query....

    Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Yes.

    There is (or was) a decision somewhere that related to a Foursome where a lady couldn't clear a problem area with her tee shot, so she deliberately missed the ball so the her male partner could have a nice lie for him to hit it clear.
    I think the penalty was DQ under 33-7.
    Just found it. Couldn't find it before.

    It is in fact 29-1/7

    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...ion-29,d29-1-7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

New European Tour Event With Shot Clock On Every Shot

The 2018 Shot Clock Masters in Austria will feature a shot clock on every shot in a hope to cut round times by 45 minutes

October 23, 2017

Justin Thomas Wins Inaugural CJ Cup

Justin Thomas won his seventh PGA Tour title at the inaugural CJ Cup in South Korea

October 23, 2017

Sergio Garcia Wins Andalucia Valderrama Masters

The Spaniard edged out Joost Luiten to win his 14th European Tour title at Valderrama

October 23, 2017

Quiz Of The Week 20th October

Test your knowledge of this week in golf with our latest quiz!

October 20, 2017

American Golf Deals: The Best Current Offers

We check out the best deal that retailer American Golf currently have on their site

October 20, 2017