Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Hole liners

  1. #21
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    400

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    You have the sloping face on the inside. The problem arises when the sloping face is on the outside.
    If the point is at the top there will be a gap between the lip and the top of the collar.

    They should only be used if the edge of the hole is prone to crumbing. Not simply than it is easier than painting.
    Normal earth better absorbs the energy of the moving ball than the harder plastic of the inserts when placed at lip height.
    However, as discussed previously, they make the hole smaller than the Rules-required 4 1/4 inches, ie, non- conforming.

  2. #22
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sarf Lunnon
    Posts
    3,228

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    However, as discussed previously, they make the hole smaller than the Rules-required 4 1/4 inches, ie, non- conforming.
    Not sure why that would necessarily be the case?

    I have never actually measured one myself, but always assumed that the internal diameter of the insert is the required 4 1/4 inches. Would be a nonsense if they were not.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Aug)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

  3. #23
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    400

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Not sure why that would necessarily be the case?

    I have never actually measured one myself, but always assumed that the internal diameter of the insert is the required 4 1/4 inches. Would be a nonsense if they were not.
    The earth is cut at 4 1/4 inches. Anything inside the cut hole at green level reduces the size of the hole, hence the recommendation that any liner be at least 1 inch below the surface, preserving that diameter of 4 1/4 inches.

  4. #24
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,024

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    The earth is cut at 4 1/4 inches. Anything inside the cut hole at green level reduces the size of the hole, hence the recommendation that any liner be at least 1 inch below the surface, preserving that diameter of 4 1/4 inches.
    Indeed - but the wording reproduced in post #8 of this thread clearly explains the principle that it may, if required, be less than 1" below the rim.

    At no point does it say that there is a specific lower limit above which competitions may no longer be run so, it follows that a competition wouldn't suddenly become become NQ as long as it is below the rim!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

    12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

  5. #25
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,518

    Re: Hole liners

    Ignoring the length and flexibility of grass and microscopic measurements for the moment, a ball sitting with its centre of gravity above any point inside the circumference of the hole will fall into the hole.
    If a lining is level with the rim, the thickness of the rim will affect whether it falls or not.
    If the lining is below the level of the rim by the thickness of the lining, the ball will fall.

    So in the real world, providing the lining is below the rim, it will have no effect on the result of a putt.

  6. #26
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    400

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Ignoring the length and flexibility of grass and microscopic measurements for the moment, a ball sitting with its centre of gravity above any point inside the circumference of the hole will fall into the hole.
    If a lining is level with the rim, the thickness of the rim will affect whether it falls or not.
    If the lining is below the level of the rim by the thickness of the lining, the ball will fall.

    So in the real world, providing the lining is below the rim, it will have no effect on the result of a putt.
    You've presumed that is the only criterion to be considered, but there may be more than that. The Ruling bodies have made their one inch recommendation- perhaps for several reasons.

  7. #27
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sarf Lunnon
    Posts
    3,228

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    The earth is cut at 4 1/4 inches. Anything inside the cut hole at green level reduces the size of the hole, hence the recommendation that any liner be at least 1 inch below the surface, preserving that diameter of 4 1/4 inches.
    No real reason why the hole size should be reduced when a stabilising ring is inserted. With the grass and soil having elastic (or plastic, not sure which is the right term) properties, a hole stabiliser with an internal diameter of 4 1/4 inches will easily be inserted into a cut hole of same diameter. The surrounding grass/soil gets compressed slightly to enable the stabiliser to fit - and the snug fit makes it stay in place. That it has a slight taper will make it easier to put in.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Aug)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

  8. #28
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,518

    Re: Hole liners

    Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    You've presumed that is the only criterion to be considered, but there may be more than that. The Ruling bodies have made their one inch recommendation- perhaps for several reasons.
    You presume too much. I never suggested it was the only criterion or even a criterion for anything. It was simply an observation.

  9. #29
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    1,975

    Re: Hole liners

    It should be remembered that a player always has the option of lowering the liner if they are worried about bounce out.

    16/4

    Hole-Liner Not Sunk Deep Enough

    Q.A player discovers that a hole-liner is not sunk at least one inch below the surface as prescribed in the Definition of "Hole." What should he do?

    A.The player should request the Committee to adjust the hole-liner. If a member of the Committee is not readily available, the player may, without penalty, push down or otherwise move the hole-liner and repair any damage (e.g., raised turf around the hole) caused by the hole-liner being out of position or being moved. In view of the potential for damage, a player should adjust a hole-liner only as a last resort and should take great care in doing so. (Revised)
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News