Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hole liners

Hole liners

Couple of weeks ago the holes at our place had inserts placed above the normal cup liners to give similar look to those we see on the tele when the holes are painted.
    Brilliant really helps with long putts but surely ok only for non comps and yes we thought so as they disappeared but where absence for first two medals but were back today.

To me they shouldn't be there for comps as the hole becomes non conforming to the rules of golf so can the Medal be a qualifier ?

Your thoughts gentlemen and ladies
    Last edited by upsidedown; 25-Apr-2015 at 15:10.
    Handicap : 5.2

Re: Hole liners

Our greenkeepers just paint them white. No probs with that.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

Challenge Tour Pro

Hole liners/inserts should be at least an inch below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by brendy View Post
    Our greenkeepers just paint them white. No probs with that.
    Apparently we have the paint and the kit to do it !! Just lazy and cost no doubt to not be done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    To me they shouldn't be there for comps as the hole becomes non conforming to the rules of golf so can the Medal be a qualifier ?

Your thoughts gentlemen and ladies
    Your national or county union/association would not approve. But for an isolated comp I would be pretty sure they would allow it to count it as a qualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    Hole liners/inserts should be at least an inch below the surface.
    I thought it was 1/4" but I've no idea where I got that from so most likely wrong.

We had them last year and although I knew it wasn't right I said nothing because I liked them.

They keep the hole edges clean like they've just been cut, and weirdly make the hole look bigger than if the edges have started to roll over through traffic.

The downside is that the ball seems to lip out more, and when it does looks like it picks up speed coming out.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Region3 View Post

The downside is that the ball seems to lip out more,
    It almost certainly will as the solid surface will not act a a shock absorber.

and when it does looks like it picks up speed coming out.
    Physically impossible.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Region3 View Post
    I thought it was 1/4" but I've no idea where I got that from so most likely wrong.

We had them last year and although I knew it wasn't right I said nothing because I liked them.

They keep the hole edges clean like they've just been cut, and weirdly make the hole look bigger than if the edges have started to roll over through traffic.

The downside is that the ball seems to lip out more, and when it does looks like it picks up speed coming out.
    here's the extract from the R&A competition guide

1. The member of the greenstaff who cuts the holes must make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole must be 4 1/4 inches (108mm), must be at least 4 inches (101.6mm) deep and that wherever possible the hole-liner must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface. If a plastic cuff/rim is used, it is considered to be part of the holeliner, so it too must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so.

1. The member of the greenstaff who cuts the holes must make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole must be 4 1/4 inches (108mm), must be at least 4 inches (101.6mm) deep and that wherever possible the hole-liner must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface. If a plastic cuff/rim is used, it is considered to be part of the holeliner, so it too must be sunk at least one inch (25mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil makes it impracticable to do so.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Your national or county union/association would not approve.
    see below ...

rather than create a new post I thought I'd resurrect this one ...

my club uses these liners, and have replied with the above bold text to justify there usage. Personally I don't agree that our greens make it impractical to not use them. I'm wondering what the justification would be with regard with regard this ruling when faced with such a situation.