Golf Monthly Forums

Golf_monthly

Navigation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ryder Cup Winner

Re: I changed my irons and am now a club shorter - why?

Snelly, had exactly the same issue last this year with new irons, trust me you will not get used to being a club shorter! I was doing the same as you, sometimes a club more than my mates and still being short! I went back and changed them in 2 weeks!

It's nothing to do with air temp or hit it harder, i'm also a smoother rhythm swinger and you shouldn't have to change your long established swing to suit new clubs.

What's the difference in weight between your old and new shafts?

Hi.

No idea what the weight of the shafts are. I will try and find out.

I have decided to change back to my old irons. I am playing golf in Toulouse on Friday then going to Royal County Down on Sunday for 3 days and need to be unhindered by problematic irons for these trips, especially the latter.

Edited to add that the new shafts are 120g and the old ones are unknown as I have never, and cannot right now either, been able to find any information on them. They are rifle shafts and just say Tour Stiff on them. They are about 12 years old I think.
    Last edited by Snelly; 02-Oct-2012 at 10:55.
    Ping Rapture Ferrari Driver
    Ping Rapture 3 wood
    Ping i25 2 hybrid
    Ping i25 irons
    Ping Gorge Wedges
    Ray Cook Mallet (4 on eBay)
    Nomadic, sporadic golfer with no official handicap.

My opinions are my own and designed solely for my own amusement. Sorry if they offend.

The Tour Stiff shaft in the X16 Pros is roughly a Rifle 6.0, so not really 'Tour' stiff, which would be PX 6.5 or TT DG X100 level.

The PX flighted is a funny set (I have the same myself) and works kinda like 3 different flexes in one. The longer irons will come out around 5.0, the mid irons around 5.5 and the short irons around 6.0, so the difference in flex with your Pros is greater the longer the club. PX flighted is a different beast from 'normal' PX and tend to give a fair bit more spin.
    All comments are just my opinion - I haven't been elected to represent anyone!

In the bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 10.5, Oban Devotion S
    Titleist 913 FD 15, UST Elements S
    Titleist 585H 21, Matrix Altus
    Mizuno MP4, KBS C-taper S
    Scor 50, 55, 60, KBS Tour S
    Odyssey No. 1 Tank Cruiser

Ethan - can you shed any light as to why I am a full club shorter with this change in equipment? I am sure I am still hitting the ball cleanly..
    Ping Rapture 3 wood
    Ping i25 2 hybrid
    Ping i25 irons
    Ping Gorge Wedges

My opinions are my own and designed solely for my own amusement. Sorry if they offend.

Do you hit the ball higher,does the ball spin more on landing ? Ball spin can reduce distance.
    I use S300 shafts and hit my 7iron about 160'ish.Have tried the same club with a Project X 6.0 and i'm about a club longer,but they feel dead,which is why i chose to stick with the S300.
    Similar Irons from the same brand,can also be worlds apart in terms of distance/ball flight,even if there a similar shape,weight,loft,and have the same shaft.
    In The Bag........
    Taylor Made R7 425 TP.Stiff Grafalloy Prolite
    Taylor Made 09 Rescue TP Voodoo SVS8
    Cleveland TA7 2 Iron Sensicore S300
    Taylor Made TP combo's 4-PW S300's
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52,56,60
    Scotty Cameron Red X

Macmillan Longest Day Golf Challenge.
    4 Rounds over 4 Courses.
    www.justgiving.com/mungoscorner

Alex1975

Quote Originally Posted by rickg View Post
    fixed that for you........just think...you could debut them at Blackmoor!!

Your words to me just a 6 or 8 weeks ago were "these are the clubs that are going to take me to cat1"... I guess they did there job, time to get rid of them! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Snelly View Post
    Ethan - can you shed any light as to why I am a full club shorter with this change in equipment? I am sure I am still hitting the ball cleanly..
    I am sure you are hitting it cleanly, but somewhere in the chain of events between you swinging and the ball landing, less energy is getting directed into maximising distance.

I think it would be interesting to know (if possible) whether you are getting the same clubhead speed into the ball, and what the ball speed, launch angle and spin rates are. Presumably the combination is less efficient, and I doubt it is all to do with extra spin.

Of course, less distance doesn't necessarily mean worse shots. You may have more control and consistency now, albeit with one club more.
    All comments are just my opinion - I haven't been elected to represent anyone!

In the bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 10.5, Oban Devotion S
    Titleist 913 FD 15, UST Elements S
    Titleist 585H 21, Matrix Altus
    Mizuno MP4, KBS C-taper S
    Scor 50, 55, 60, KBS Tour S
    Odyssey No. 1 Tank Cruiser

I am going to move the X-22's on and put my old clubs in the bag again and am putting this whole change down as a failed experiment with no conclusive results.

I don't have any numbers on the other factors mentioned nor any opportunity to get them. The only other bits of information that I can add are that the trajectories with both sets are basically the same and the notable differences between the two are that with the X-22's, I have hit a lot of shots to the left and seen a marked increase in backspin on shots into greens. None of this seems particularly relevant but I am absolutely not an expert on this.

Need to find a cheap source of Winn grips and then I am back on track I hope.....
    Ping Rapture 3 wood
    Ping i25 2 hybrid
    Ping i25 irons
    Ping Gorge Wedges

Alex1975

Although the clubs have the same lofts as stock is it possible that one of them has been altered? Maybe your old ones were made stronger before you owned them or the new ones likewise?

I think you have to answer a question in your own mind snelly. Why have you changed you irons?

Was it for extra distance? If it was then it has not worked.

Was it for more control, bit more stopping power on the greens and more trajectory control? If it was and you have achieved that, then do you hit your irons far enough that loosing a club of distance is not a problem if you are hitting them better?
    Taylormade SLDR 430 12* (set to 10.5) Stiff Matrix Black Tie.
    Taylormade SLDR MINI DRIVER 14* Stiff Graffaloy Bi-Matrix. (In pink like bubba)
    Mizuno MP-H4 18* & 21* TTDG X-100
    Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW TTDG X-100
    MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex
    PING Scottsdale TR Grayhawk (custom fitted in the PING tour truck thanks to GM)

Handicap index after first round 7.7.