Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Good driver for mid - high handicapper

After umming and aahing I think I'm going to go for one soon. (I was going to wait til this time next year as I've only been playing a while but HID suggested buying either irons or driver now rather than both at the same time and I think of the two I'll benefit more waiting for the irons.)

I currently have a secondhand Ping G2 11.5 degree. No problem getting it airborne so would probably feel comfortable going for a little less loft and tend to fade it slightly.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers

Simon

PS I'm guessing it would be sensible to hold out til after Christmas but would rather not - will it make a massive difference?

Re: Good driver for mid - high handicapper

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I currently have a secondhand Ping G2 11.5 degree. No problem getting it airborne so would probably feel comfortable going for a little less loft and tend to fade it slightly.
    As you have only been playing a short while, might it not make better sense to get another driver with similar loft but with a lower launching shaft if you want to get a slightly lower trajectory?
    I've seen so many people go for a lower loft in their drivers to try to keep the ball down but all it will do is exaggerate the fade. More loft equals less sidespin.
    By going for a lower launching shaft (not necessarily "stiffer") you still have the confidence that looking down on 11.5 degrees of loft will give you???
    Just a thought
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

Q-School Graduate

Learning, learning, learning! Thanks Smiffy.

How would I know which shaft options are lower launching?

Club Champion

Hi,
    I was in a similar position 4 weeks ago when I went out to buy some new clubs.

I tested 7 different drivers and found that I prefered the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 & the R11 in 10.5
    Using the sim I hit slightly further and straighter with the burner but as I was going with the R11 irons I opted for the R11 driver too.
    After some lessons I am doing pretty well with the R11 but as yet I have not tried to adjust anything on the club to see if I can tweek my shots (which tend to end up a bit right).

I found American Golf usefull for testing different clubs on their Sim but not over keen on their sales pitch (which in my experience is lies as I got told one version of how someone lived a certain driver "best club I've ever used" while the week after the same chap told my mate "I don't favour that club, try this one"...

Test lots then choose but get fitted by someone that knows what they are doing, unlike my experience at American Golf :0(
    TaylorMade R11s Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood Ti, 21 degree Rescue, 4-SW Irons, Attack Wedge, TM ATV 60* Wedge, Ghost Spider Putter, Penta Balls, R11 Bag & Glove
    TaylorMade RBZ 3 Wood - Still looking for those extra 17 Yards...

Currently rediscovering the game and taking lessons to un-train years of bad posture, swing and grip.
    Member of Richings Park: www.richingspark.co.uk

If anyone else is still learning and looking for someone to play with then drop me a PM
    http://golfshot.com/members/0758016520

Learning, learning, learning! Thanks Smiffy.

How would I know which shaft options are lower launching?
    Well, if you settle on a "quality" make of Driver, like Ping, Titleist, Taylor Made etc. you should get a list of option shafts which show their launch characteristics.
    For me, one of the best lower launching shafts is a Grafalloy ProLaunch "Red"..it has a higher kickpoint, which is what you are after for a low launcher. But there are others out there, Ethan is about the best one to ask for shafts on the forum. He knows a lot (a lot) more than me.
    Like I say, the beauty of a low launching shaft is that you can keep playing with a relatively higher lofted face on the driver and the shaft does the work. I had a 9 degree Callaway driver once, it was great when you caught it well but it was a licence to slice. I now have an 11 degree Ping i15, but the shaft I have fitted to it still keeps it down nice and low, which is great if you are hitting into the wind as the ball won't balloon as much. I have the same shafts fitted to my 3 and 5 wood, and these again stay reasonably low but still get decent run on them (if I hit them that is).
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

Simon I am an expert at doing all the WRONG things to improve your golf, in fact I am so knowledgeable I may well write a book on it!!! So I have a few questions:

1. What irons do you currently use?
    2. How good is your iron play?
    3. How long is your course?
    4. How many holes do you take driver from the tee?
    5. What is your average drive distance?
    6. Why do you think buying a driver now will help you more than new irons?

I only ask these questions because you suggest you are in the market for both irons and a driver. You hit mire shots per round with your irons, so in my mind that makes them a priority purchase. That and the fact that a few on here have rated the G2 as a cracking club in it's own right. But if you want a big dog you won't go far wrong sticking with Ping

Happy shopping
    Karl Morris says I should set a SMART goal and share it so here's mine for 2017.

This year I will be improving my accuracy. I will know as my FIR will improve from 33% to 45% and GIR up from 24% to 35%

Tour Winner

Tiger has a point, but the lure of shiny shiny can sometimes be to strong. In that event, I'd suggest sticking with Ping, the G15 I have is by far the best driver I've had the pleasure of. Whatever you do, go for a fitting though, preferably somewhere you can hit balls out onto a range.

Q-School Graduate

1. What irons do you currently use?

Some old Wilson deep reds

2. How good is your iron play?

Definitely room for improvement - still a slight fade but improving and prety confident hitting greens with the shorter ones. No confidence with 5 and longer at the moment.

3. How long is your course?

4. How many holes do you take driver from the tee?

Varies massively depending on how I'm swinging but if well then probably 11.

5. What is your average drive distance?

Dont know - guess 240 - 250

6. Why do you think buying a driver now will help you more than new irons?

I see your point below but my thinking is that if I buy some irons now which are above my game then I might suffer badly. My pro had a couple of shots with my irons on a playing lesson and thougth they were nicely weighted for my swing.

If I buy irons now which are at my current level I'll want / need new ones too soon.

If I buy a driver now which is around the right level then I can live with that for a few years as my game (hopefully) improves.

I do like the G2 but think with my height (6'6'') it would make sense to have something fitted.

Does this make sense?

I had my G2 for years and would still have it now if I hadn't cracked the face.
    You could get the driver extended an inch and get some lessons to help cure the fade/slice.
    That would also bring down the height a bit
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

After umming and aahing I think I'm going to go for one soon. (I was going to wait til this time next year as I've only been playing a while but HID suggested buying either irons or driver now rather than both at the same time and I think of the two I'll benefit more waiting for the irons.)

Wookie

You say that you dont have a problem getting the ball in the air, so assuming that you are not constantly skying the ball why do want less loft, less loft will as like as not increase your fade. You have a very good driver right now, had a G2 myself untill earlier this year, its still in reserve (12 degree loft). Not sure what h/cap you are but if you are teens or above you will inevitably hit differing shots no matter what club you use. That said enjoy whatever you buy.

Cheers

Simon

PS I'm guessing it would be sensible to hold out til after Christmas but would rather not - will it make a massive difference?
    Wookie

You say that you dont have a problem getting the ball in the air, so assuming that you are not constantly skying the ball why do want less loft, less loft will as like as not increase your fade. You have a very good driver right now, had a G2 myself untill earlier this year, its still in reserve (12 degree loft). Not sure what h/cap you are but if you are teens or above you will inevitably hit differing shots no matter what club you use. That said enjoy whatever you buy.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback