Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro splashtryagain's Avatar

Advantages of forged irons??

Whilst playing today, a playing partner said his Mizuno irons were better because they were forged. It got me thinking that whilst forged and arguably better feeling surely this only comes into play once the shot has been struck. My pings feel fine, indeed proper strikes feel great and having played mizuno's in the past I can't tell a massive difference. Surely the feel elemant only comes into play once the ball has been struck, this means to me that feel could be an afterthought as my clubs tell me how I hit it wrong as well as the previous mps i used. This is not meant as an inflammatory post merely a conundrum that presented itself to me today (for some reason the wife appears uninterested in this!). What are your thoughts?
    In the bag - ibuprofen, paracetemol and a chiropractors number

Re: Advantages of forged irons??

There has always been heated debate about the pros and cons of forged v cast and playability and feel. Personally for the way I play it is neglibile and probably doesn't make a big difference. The only area I thin it would come into play would be in the short (8-PW) where feel comes more into the shot from a shotmaking perspective
    Happy Golfing

Handicap 11.7 (12)
    Ping G25 Driver 10 degrees)
    Ping G25 3 & 5 woods
    Ping G25 20 degree hybrid
    Ping I25 irons 4-PW (green dot 2.25 degrees upright - hard stepped)
    Ping Tour Wedge - 52 degrees (standard sole)
    Ping Tour Wedge - 58 degrees (wide sole)
    Odyssey ProType Tour Series #9 (milled) - 34 inches

www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk
    http://threeoffthetee.blogspot.co.uk/

birdieman

Forged is softer than cast hence the ball stays on the clubface marginally longer. That longer time on the clubface, it is argued, allows the player to shape shots more easily by imparting more fade/draw/back spin to the ball.
    Conversely as more energy is absorbed in the collision there could be a slight loss of distance as the COR (purity of bounce) is less as energy is absorbed by the clubface/shaft/hands rather than to the ball.

Advantage of forged - more shot making ability
    Disadvantage of forged - less distance on shots AND increased error if you hit it poorly - slice/hook etc.

Having just switched from cast to forged I have noticed a massive difference.

The distance thing has been sidestepped by getting superior shafts in the new clubs.

I now can stop anything up to a 5 iron where before every club above the PW had a fair bit of run.

I have also noticed the strikes feel purer and better, I get a lot more feel and feedback from the head.

Overall I think it has been a positive move, I am playing better as a result. Shots go higher and I have more confidence in going for greens from further out.

PS

I do hate it when people say "mine is better than yours" Everyone to their own in equipment, whatever makes you play best! Plus not everyone can afford the best, lets make this world better and keep our superiority complexes to ourselves.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practicing my short game with my V-Easy. Handicap: 12)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012

My Ping Redwood Zing is my putter for life!

Having just switched from cast to forged I have noticed a massive difference.

The distance thing has been sidestepped by getting superior shafts in the new clubs.

I now can stop anything up to a 5 iron where before every club above the PW had a fair bit of run.

I have also noticed the strikes feel purer and better, I get a lot more feel and feedback from the head.

Overall I think it has been a positive move, I am playing better as a result. Shots go higher and I have more confidence in going for greens from further out.

PS

I do hate it when people say "mine is better than yours" Everyone to their own in equipment, whatever makes you play best! Plus not everyone can afford the best, lets make this world better and keep our superiority complexes to ourselves.
    wot he said
    www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/IrvineGC

ping 25/tmr9/adams ls lol lol
    Adams Super LS Speedline 18F stiff
    Adams Idea Tech V4 19 stiff
    Adams Super DHY 24 stiff
    Mizuno MX 200 5-Pw PX 5.5
    Mizuno MPR 12 Black 50/06
    Mizuno MP R Series Black NI 54/10
    Srixon WG 504 58/8
    Scotty Cameron 2012 California Fastback

and a v easy owner

handicap 12

wot he said
    Pfft some people are so lazy...
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practicing my short game with my V-Easy. Handicap: 12)

wot he said
    Pfft some people are so lazy...
    www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/IrvineGC

ping 25/tmr9/adams ls lol lol
    Adams Super LS Speedline 18F stiff
    Adams Idea Tech V4 19 stiff
    Adams Super DHY 24 stiff
    Mizuno MX 200 5-Pw PX 5.5
    Mizuno MPR 12 Black 50/06
    Mizuno MP R Series Black NI 54/10
    Srixon WG 504 58/8
    Scotty Cameron 2012 California Fastback

and a v easy owner

handicap 12

Challenge Tour Pro splashtryagain's Avatar

So the switch to forged could yield more confidence (through feel and feedback) and better backspin? I have no trouble stopping a 5 iron with the ping i10 I have already and have not noticed a huge difference in spin levels between these and the mp33 I used to use, is this just me?. Is there really that much difference in the softness that a ball stays on the clubface longer? i ask because I have been considering a switch back to forged clubs (the source of this on course conversation) but on the other hand have been playing great golf with my cast clubs (typical golfer - more is never enough).
    In the bag - ibuprofen, paracetemol and a chiropractors number

So the switch to forged could yield more confidence (through feel and feedback) and better backspin?
    Could but depends on what you switched from.

A premium cast club is still a quality product and the differences might be slight.

A budget cast club cannot hold a candle to a forged club (where I moved from).

I would say that anyone with a good set of quality cast clubs such as the pings would see little difference and should stick with what they have.

If you want to part with the extra cash and want something that can also be bent to a new lie or loft (I am looking to adjust mine for lie if my pro says they need it and maybe bend the 3 more towards a 2 iron if I hit it well)

Mine were second hand, stock shaft, stock lie/loft and hardly used so were a steal at the price I paid. If I was buying new I would have gone cast without a doubt.

Alex1975

I dont think many people who play forged go back to cast, and although I made that up, Its pretty damning if its true