Golf Monthly Forums

Golf_monthly

Navigation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Benefits of forged irons?

As one of the deluded I havent put it down to anything. One thing for sure, they feel totally different when hit out the centre............how that is I dont give a fig. Oh, I also played the ZBs...no plastic in there.

Feel has been proven to be the noise. My hands are at the end of my arms, not my ears.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week RBZ 9.5 driver with Accra Dymatch shaft, RBZ 3 wood, Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 53, Vokey 58 degree wedge, TM White Smoke putter, Srixon Z Star, HC 5 no bad for 62 YO and my swing....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WPJq_CBVY
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

I play ZBs so I know what they are like. I like the look of them. Well, I did when they were new. Now they look like they have been battered with a hammer.

If you do some back ground reading on the subject, you will find numerous views on feel v. noise, many by guys in the club making industry who are well respected (Roger Cleveland, Bob Vokey, Maltby, and others). Clearly with a lifetime making clubs, they know nothing.

On a similar subject, my 909 driver had a lovely soft feel, and made a satisfying thwack. My Nike feels rock hard, and makes a high pitched ting noise. Both have the maximum COR allowed, and so the faces deflect the same amount. Hence the faces must be similar materials and thicknesses. One cannot be harder than the other. The difference? The noise.
    Callaway big Bertha (orange) 9.0 Fubuki
    Titleist 913fd 13.5 diamana whiteboard
    Titleist 913f 17 diamana whiteboard
    Mizuno MPH5 3 iron, Kbs c taper
    Callaway apex pro, 4 to pw, Kbs c taper
    Callaway mack daddy 2 tour wedges in 52 and 56
    Never compromise gambler flush

I play ZBs so I know what they are like. I like the look of them. Well, I did when they were new. Now they look like they have been battered with a hammer.
    What has that got to do with it. What you are doing is going by what others are saying, not by individual. What part donít you understandÖ.the feel of the R7 is different to the AP2s when hit out the centre toe or heal. The noise, I donít care about unless it sound like a tin can.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week RBZ 9.5 driver with Accra Dymatch shaft, RBZ 3 wood, Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 53, Vokey 58 degree wedge, TM White Smoke putter, Srixon Z Star, HC 5 no bad for 62 YO and my swing....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WPJq_CBVY

But feel IS noise. That's all it is.
    Callaway big Bertha (orange) 9.0 Fubuki
    Titleist 913fd 13.5 diamana whiteboard
    Titleist 913f 17 diamana whiteboard
    Mizuno MPH5 3 iron, Kbs c taper
    Callaway apex pro, 4 to pw, Kbs c taper
    Callaway mack daddy 2 tour wedges in 52 and 56
    Never compromise gambler flush

I'm with Murph on this. Joe bloggs ait gonna tell the difference between cast and forged. Also forged irons need to have lie and lofts checked regular, as the metal is a lot softer with forged clubs they can move with consistant heavy shots.

Tommo, your not compairing like for like. Feel will be different between R7's and AP1's that's not down to forged or cast.
    TM R11s
    TM R7 CGBmax 3 Wood
    TM R7 CGBmax #3 & #4 Rescue
    Mizuno JPX825 pro's
    TM Z TP wedges 56* 60*
    TM XFT 52*
    Scotty Cameron Red X

I play at East Devon Golf Club If you fancy a game...PM me

Mark Crossfields vlog East Devon GC Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp43vVlhr60

Mark Crossfields vlog East Devon GC Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOO2MgNNPfI

We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Tommo, your not compairing like for like. Feel will be different between R7's and AP1's that's not down to forged or cast.
    Tell me how it's not down to the forge or cast head. How is it not like for like. I hit my r7 4 iron, I hit my AP2 4 iron the AP2 feels...not sounds.... but feels much better. What other way can I compare it. I dont care what it's down to....It's just my opinion. If vokey tells you you wont know, then dont get them. If westwood plays pings...he gets wads of money for it and as I said they're every bit as good I'm sure. I tried screwbacks pings at castle stuart, again a different feel. You dont need to be the best player in the world to spot this and some of you need to stop reading too much crap from people who are trying to sell a product....

Journeyman Pro

I'm not sure about this 'feel' thing we hear about all the time....

I played with Zing2's for many years, and they were certainly powerful clubs, and were'nt 'noisy' or hard when hit well.
    I finally found I didnt like the look anymore, and changed to Titleist AP2's, and now CB's, which are definitely easier for me to work if I really must.

Do they feel 'softer' ? I dunno.......to me, any shot struck smoothly and middled will fly off the face effortlessly.
    Do they sound different ? No, not a jot.

Do I prefer them ? yes, I do, but maybe i'll tire of them in another 12yrs too. I'm playing better and off a lower HC in the last 2years than ever before, but there again, that could be because I'm trying harder and focusing more, and my kids arent as young meaning I arent feeling as guilty as I go to the course as I used to feel. Thats a big advantage I can tell you.
    Relaxed in mind means relaxed in body perhaps.

My CB's are gorgeous clubs, sleek simple lines, and all polished and chrome, but have no doubt, if you thin one, you'll be shaking your fillings loose.
    Brough Golf Club, East Yorks.
    H/Cap 7.8 :-)
    TM RBZ Stage2 Tour 3W & 5W
    Warbird 7W Steel shaft
    Titleist CB Irons 3-PW
    Vokeys 54* & 60*
    Scotty Newport Fastback
    ProV1's

Tell me how it's not down to the forge or cast head. How is it not like for like. I hit my r7 4 iron, I hit my AP2 4 iron the AP2 feels...not sounds.... but feels much better. What other way can I compare it. I dont care what it's down to....It's just my opinion. If vokey tells you you wont know, then dont get them. If westwood plays pings...he gets wads of money for it and as I said they're every bit as good I'm sure. I tried screwbacks pings at castle stuart, again a different feel. You dont need to be the best player in the world to spot this and some of you need to stop reading too much crap from people who are trying to sell a product....

The only way you can tell "like for like", is if you had a forged r7 against a cast r7, change the club model and of course the feel will be different. That's not down to the material it's manufactured from, it's down to club design.
    TM R11s
    TM R7 CGBmax 3 Wood
    TM R7 CGBmax #3 & #4 Rescue
    Mizuno JPX825 pro's
    TM Z TP wedges 56* 60*
    TM XFT 52*
    Scotty Cameron Red X

I play at East Devon Golf Club If you fancy a game...PM me

Mark Crossfields vlog East Devon GC Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp43vVlhr60

Mark Crossfields vlog East Devon GC Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOO2MgNNPfI

We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

The only way you can tell "like for like", is if you had a forged r7 against a cast r7, change the club model and of course the feel will be different. That's not down to the material it's manufactured from, it's down to club design.
    Are we not talking about steel and forged, two different materials, so it's real stupid saying I'm not comparing like for like....they are different, that is the subject of this thread. Why cant it be down to the material even if you change model......how do you know this.