PDA

View Full Version : The Machrie (Islay)

thecraw
01-Apr-2009, 07:18
Just back from a wonderful long weekends golf on Islay at The Machrie. I cant recommend this course enough, its simply awesome, a truely amazing golfing adventure and deserves to be higher in GM's ranking. How anyone can rate The Belfry ahead of this place is simply beyond me!!!???

Anyway we played in the annual Machrie Spring Challenge which is played every March, its an individual as well a a team competition. I recommend that you try it if your free next year at this time, they do a fantastic rate of 55 per person per night dinner bed and breakfast which is great value. The 3 course dinners are worth 55 alone with sirloin steaks and other mouth watering dishes on offer every night.

The accomodation is comfortable and clean although it could do with a slight bit of modernisation. Company and craick is worth experiencing as well.

Anyway back to the golf. This is true raw links at its very best. The greens were in tip top condition, fantastic for March. The fairways were excellent and thankfully the rough was not at its most penal although still very difficult to find your ball from a wayward drive! There have been a couple of slight modernisations since last year with a new tee having been made on the 3rd which has a simply stunning backdrop of the golden sands (a great photo location!), a new fairway pot bunker has also been added to this hole.

LoganAir operate day trips including flights, transfers and lunch or you can go for a couple of days via Calmac ferries. Either way I recommend that you go and give the place a bash.

If you love links you will fall in love.